Highways Site Supervisor
Telford & Wrekin has a population of 170,000 people and our population is younger than the national average. Our borough is predicted to grow in the next 13 years adding nearly another 30,000 people. We are investing in growth in the borough and this presents an opportunity to attract new businesses. The borough is a combination of old and new, urban and rural, traditional and modern and includes the unique Ironbridge Gorge World Heritage Site.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an expanding team in a brand new role. Telford & Wrekin Council are seeking an enthusiastic, self-motivating Highway Site Supervisor to join the Highways Development Control Team within the Development Management Service Area. As part of the approach to the provision of multi-disciplinary technical advice to support and drive the delivery of growth, you will actively inspect and supervise the construction of developer schemes including works approved under S38, S278 and S184 of the Highways Act 1980.
Working to the Development Team Group Manager, the post duties include:
• Liaise with third party developers and contractors on site to supervise and inspect all aspects of highway works, including road layout, drainage design, pavement and footway design etc to ensure that agreed designs are constructed in an acceptable and appropriate way.
• Ensure compliance with technical standards and all relevant legislation ensuring that the Council can formally adopt works as part of the highway following construction.
• Ensure all works are undertaken with due regard to approved plans and in compliance with all legislation in relation to Health, Safety and Environmental matters.
• Ensure all works are undertaken with due regard to the needs of the local population within the immediate vicinity of the works and the travelling public as a whole.
• Exercise independent judgements to problem solve and recommend alternative design solutions to consulting engineers to overcome any unforeseen engineering problems or construction issues.
• Contribute towards continuous improvement by highlighting any potential improvements and efficiency opportunities on site or for future schemes and work with colleagues and the contractors to report and implement them.
• Record safety and quality non-compliances and keep line management appraised of potential problems and opportunities.
• Recommend acceptance of schemes when agreed work is completed.
• Ensure all ‘as-built’ records are provided for inclusion within the Health and Safety file in a timely manner following scheme completion.
• Provide information to keep the Council’s records of adopted highways up to date.
• The role will involve working closely with Development Control Engineers, planning staff, senior managers, elected Members, town and parish councils to provide professional advice in respect of development works on the highway.
Applicants will have a degree in Civil Engineering (or related subject) with post qualification experience of working in highway engineering. Membership of a professional body (such as the Chartered Institute of Highways & Transportation or similar) would be an advantage.
See Job Description and Person Specification.
Application forms and further details are available from our website www.telford.gov.uk/jobs. Sorry but CV’s will not be accepted.
For an informal discussion please contact Keith Harris, Group Manager on 01952 384601.
Closing Date: 21st July 2017
Interview Date: 28th July 2017