Neighbourhood Services Operations Manager
37 hours per week
Louth Depot, Fairfield Industrial Estate (Lincolnshire)
*plus a generous Local Government Pension Scheme, employee benefits and up to 30 days annual leave (plus bank holidays)
This is an exciting opportunity to work with the Council's Neighbourhood Services department to oversee the delivery of the cleansing and grounds maintenance function in one of the largest Districts of the UK. This role plays a pivotal part in the Council's commitment to ensuring the District, environment & wider community is kept clean and safe. You will oversee a large operational team who are proud to keep our stunning coastlines, rural landscapes and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) to a high standard.
You will provide line-management to the Senior Supervisors who supervise four geographical based teams of Neighbourhood Services Operatives and will report to the Neighbourhood Services Manager. You will be responsible for the management of a large dedicated team of staff who deliver high quality front-line services across the district. This includes: - street cleansing, building cleansing, park and open space maintenance, grounds maintenance of council owned land, fleet/plant management, foreshore/beach management and the cleansing of public conveniences.
The main tasks of the post include:
- The operational management, co-ordination and monitoring of area based teams;
- The development of work plans for each area team in collaboration with the Neighbourhood Services Manager and Supervisor(s);
- Development of a multi-skilled workforce across the service, to ensure that key outcomes agreed by the Neighbourhood Services Manager are delivered;
- To be responsible for all aspects of Health & Safety and proficiency training across the teams; to lead with the development and review of Safe Systems of Work and ensure all Health and Safety records are compliant;
- To work with the Neighbourhood Services Manager in the preparation of policy guidance and procedures and their periodical review to ensure compliance with statutory requirements and good practice;
- Working with the Neighbourhood Services Manager to ensure the development of high quality services;
- Assist the Neighbourhood Services Manager in undertaking reviews of policies and processes; making recommendations and coordinating the implementation of agreed changes in service delivery to achieve efficient, cost effective service delivery;
- To assist in the preparation and submission of tenders, estimates and quotations with full regard to any legislative controls;
- The preparation of reports on operational targets/issues, for the consideration of Area Committees, Town & Parish Council meetings, senior management, and Member Working Groups;
- To monitor and control activities against agreed budgets in accordance with approved procedures;
- Support and assist the Neighbourhood Services Manager in responses to Elected Members and Members of Parliament with regard to enquiries concerning the services operational issues;
- To be responsible for the recruitment of staff within the team;
- To work flexibly within the section, which will from time to time involve "out of hours" working at weekends, bank holidays, early mornings or late evenings to meet service demands.
We are looking for a passionate, well organised, approachable, and innovative individual. Previous experience and knowledge of street cleansing and horticulture operations would be desirable however, not essential. Whilst experience of cleansing, and/or horticulture operations is desirable, experience in managing personnel and health and safety practices is essential.
You will ideally possess a relevant degree or 2 "A" levels / Diploma / Certificate and it is essential you have at least five years' experience, working in a similar role. You will demonstrate excellent leadership skills and the ability to communicate at all levels through both the verbal and written form. Excellent working knowledge of, and confidence and competence in, computer use and the Microsoft office package is essential in order to effectively deliver the requirements of this role.
If you believe you have the skills, knowledge and experience to effectively deliver this role, then we are excited to hear from you!
To apply and for more information about the role and the Council, please visit: https://www.e-lindsey.gov.uk/article/9877/Neighbourhood-Services-Operations-Manager