Cohesion Worker - 2 Posts
Job 1: 37 Hours this role has a focus on Capacity Building
Job 2: 37 Hours this is a fixed term appointment up to June 2020 to cover a secondment
You will work as part of the Cohesion Team and report to the Faith & Integration Manager. The role will work across the Kirklees district in communities and neighbourhoods as directed by your manager.
You will develop and implement interventions in communities, share intelligence and supporting effective partnership working. You will provide specialist support and advice to other council services around effective community involvement and engagement. Through your local knowledge you will be able to provide an insight into communities that other services may not have. You will actively monitor and manage community tensions and implement effective interventions that limit any negative impact on individuals and communities.
Requirements for this job:
- Experienced in using community development approaches to mobilise the community to develop collective responses to issues of concern including, the formation and support of community groups and interventions which will engage and involve communities and individuals.
- Understanding and practical knowledge of how to build cohesive communities.
- Understanding of countering extremism and the harm this causes to communities and individuals.
- A detailed understanding of equality & diversity and cohesion & integration issues and the ability to use this understanding in the delivery of services and in engaging/ supporting communities
- The ability to work in a political environment and manage relationships with community groups and leaders.
- Excellent communication skills with proven experience of multi-agency and partnership working.
- Ability to think strategically, analyse complex information, relationships, solve problems and develop long term objectives.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Good understanding of the diverse communities within Kirklees and their interface with cohesion.
- Understanding of difficult dialogue and is confident in challenging inappropriate language and behaviour.
- Can demonstrate practical experience, engagement and development of interventions in one or more of the following areas: - Faith, Schools, Migrants & Refugees / Asylum Seekers, Intergenerational Work, Women's Empowerment.
Recruitment Workshops will be held on:
Wednesday 12th June – 1st Floor, Kirkgate Buildings, Huddersfield 12.00 to 14.00
Monday 17th June – Batley Reference Library 10.00 to 12.00
Thursday 20th June – Dewsbury Library 17.30 to 19.30
There will be one assessment day on Wednesday 17th July
Interviews will be as follows:
Capacity Builders – Wednesday 24th July
Cohesion officer – Thursday 25th July
An enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check will be required for this job. A conviction may not exclude candidates from appointment but will be considered as part of the recruitment process.
Job 2 only - To apply for this job as a secondment you must be a substantive employee of the Council with over 6 months continuous service and have successfully completed your probation period. Applications for secondments will only be accepted if accompanied by a completed Secondment Permission Form, signed by your manager. If you are refused permission to apply for a secondment please contact HR Recruitment to register the refusal.
In order to be shortlisted for this job please demonstrate how you meet the Person Checklist as detailed on the attached Job Profile. CV's will not be accepted.