Senior Transport Officer
This job is temporary up to June 2020 to cover a maternity leave.
The Transport Service provides escorted transport for 850 pupils with special educational needs and disabilities to schools within Kirklees and beyond. The Service also arranges transport for college students, older people to day care and other provisions for after school clubs and short breaks/respite. The service transports to approximately 65 schools and other locations and contracts commercial taxi and minibus operators to provide vehicles and drivers to deliver the service.
The Service has approximately 140 staff members overall. You will be responsible for assisting the Team Manager with the day to day operational management and delivery of the transport service. You will be expected to line manage Transport Officers, who themselves have line management responsibilities for around 40 staff members, and provide support and guidance on a day to day basis. You will take a proactive role in overseeing and/or managing safeguarding and health and safety concerns, and ensure robust service delivery systems are in place and accuracy is maintained. You will deal with stakeholder queries and enquiries, and co-ordinate responses as required.
The Service has a wide range of work streams including those relating to children with additional needs, safeguarding and health and safety, staff management and wellbeing support, finance, procurement and tendering, contract management and monitoring, training, and working closely with stakeholders. As such, your daily workload, and short, medium and long term planning of the service can relate to many different areas of work.
You will have:
- Experience within a large organisation in a management or first line supervisory position.
- Knowledge and/or experience of people management.
- Knowledge and/or experience of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
- Experience of managing customer expectations.
- Experience of managing difficult situations whilst working in a demanding, fast paced working environment, and be able to demonstrate resilience in such situations.
- Knowledge and/or experience of implementing safeguarding practices and identifying issues
- Experience of managing a demanding workload
- Knowledge and or experience of financial procedures.
- Proven track record of service delivery to an agreed level of performance and standard
- Team player style of approach, ready to take on any challenge
An enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check will be required for this job. A conviction may not exclude candidates from appointment but will be considered as part of the recruitment process.
To apply for this job as a secondment you must be a substantive employee of the Council with over 6 months continuous service and have successfully completed your probation period. Applications for secondments will only be accepted if accompanied by a completed Secondment Permission Form, signed by your manager. If you are refused permission to apply for a secondment please contact HR Recruitment to register the refusal.
In order to be shortlisted for this job please demonstrate how you meet the Person Checklist as detailed on the attached Job Profile - this information needs to be inserted under the 'Relevant skills, experience and behaviours' section on the Application Form.