Job summary and Responsibilities
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda – one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We’re immensely proud of our flexible working options.
ECC is transforming how it delivers education services across one of the largest counties in the country in order to continue to improve and to ensure the best possible outcomes for every single child and young person. We are determined to build on our journey of improvement which has seen 94% of schools now being rated Good or Outstanding by Ofsted, and to focus more effectively on areas such as our more vulnerable children and young people to ensure Essex provides a wholly inclusive education which can meet the needs of all of our children and young people.
Current jobs within the Essex Educational Psychology Service (EPS)
Improving lives: using psychology to create positive change Soulbury A Educational Psychologists (EP) jobs (Soulbury A 2-7 plus up to 3 SPA points) There are many good reasons to join the Essex Educational Psychology Service. Essex EPS is a large, vibrant and creative service with 51 Educational Psychologists and 4 Assistant Educational Psychologists working across 4 geographical areas. We are a solution oriented service, free at the point of delivery. We have a Principal Educational Psychologist, 4 Deputy Principal Educational Psychologists and 17 senior specialists within the service. The service also supports Trainee EPs.
The following are benefits for all when joining the Essex Educational Psychology Service:
- a welcome payment of up to £4000 (terms and conditions apply);
- an excellent induction programme for all;
- an annual 2 day Projects and Research conference for the service to share their innovations and hear from national speakers;
- a full CPD programme with 8 service days and individual CPD days;
- many employee benefits through Essex Extras;
- a lease car scheme;
- Essex Extras reward system (money off on the high street);
- good ICT support;
- fringe allowance for posts in Harlow and Basildon;
- option to purchase additional holiday.
- HCPC fees paid;
- regular professional supervision separate from line management;
- a generous relocation package of up to £8000 (terms and conditions apply);
- a generous policy on SPA points (SPA 1 after successful first year in Essex, SPA 2 after successful 2nd year in Essex);
- assistant EP support in the service;
- an optional traded 'top up' EP service to schools;
- a Critical Incident team for schools:
- Pearson Assessments on iPads.
We are seeking to recruit Educational Psychologists across Essex. We have a base in Harlow, Braintree, Colchester and Basildon. Applications welcomed from Year 3 trainees.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- British Psychological Society (BPS) recognised first degree in psychology.
- A Doctorate or Master’s degree in Educational Psychology, and eligibility for chartered status within the British Psychological Society.
- HCPC registration.
- Recent, relevant in-service professional development.
- Detailed understanding and awareness of relevant SEN legislation.
- Experience of working with children and young people with SEN/Disability, and detailed knowledge of research informed interventions and approaches that prevent and meet SEN.
Here's what some of our new recruits think of Essex EPS: ‘I have learned more in the last month than I did in the whole of the third year of my training course’ (Newly qualified EP in Essex after one month of induction.)
‘a big, well managed, and organised service which is held in regard with schools and other professionals. Psychology is at the heart of things – with very interesting opportunities for CPD.’
'an extremely supportive team especially when you first start. It is a thoughtful, reflective, innovative and enjoyable place to work, and it is fun! Essex is a beautiful, green, historic county and, contrary to popular belief, is not full of stilettos!’
'an extremely supportive team that has thorough induction processes that have allowed me to ease myself into the role with no difficulties. Essex’s set of systems and procedures allow EPs to use their initiative and expertise in a safe and supportive service. I particularly value the Essex CPD programme with outside speakers.’
Applicants for the all Educational Psychology posts must be registered with or be eligible for registration with the HCPC. For more information visit our information page.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained.
For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Essex Recruitment Team on 033 005 83330*
*Calls to this number are charged in the same way as calls to numbers starting 01 or 02, please check with your service provider