Facilities & Resources Assistant
Please note this is a part time role, with around 17 hours to 18.5 per week. Working hours will be discussed at interview.
The pro rata salary is up to £8,701.24 per annum.
Essex Adult Community Learning is undergoing significant transformational change to further enhance customer focus, quality of service and to address the need to be a business focussed commercial organisation, with the views to becoming a lead provider of learning for the people of Essex and beyond.
The Facilities & Resources Assistant is responsible for organising and carry out effective caretaking and cleaning of the centre to ensure a safe and clean environment for customers, with responsibility for the implementation and monitoring of all Health & Safety requirements at the centre.
• To oversee the security of and access to the site, locking and unlocking building to allow access, acting as key-holder in an emergency and responding to calls outside normal working hours, setting and turning off alarms as required and checking them regularly.
• To undertake caretaking and cleaning processes to ensure an efficient and effective service is provided for staff, learners and customers. Ensure standards are met in accordance with cleaning specifications.
• To prevent, as far as possible, unauthorised access to the site and unauthorised parking of vehicles, within the appropriate policies and codes of practice.
• To organise periodic Emergency evacuation of premises in line with Health & Safety codes of practice.
• Maintain an inventory of the centre’s equipment, updating as necessary and reviewing on an annual basis.
• To test electrical equipment and undertake Health & Safety Risk Assessments, including external premises that might be used by the service, and ensure policies and procedures are adhered to. Check functioning of ancillary equipment.
• Monitor systems and equipment ensuring they meet health & safety requirements.
• To monitor contractors and other personnel working on the site and buildings, ensuring work carried out in accordance to specification and in compliance with health & safety procedures.
• Ensure all hard areas and paths are free from litter and drains and gullies are free flowing and clean. Clear snow paths and provide access to premises in all weathers as far as possible.
• To maintain the grounds, including mowing and clearing of weeds. To operate the heating plant so that efficient temperatures and hot water are maintained.
• Manage stock, order and delivery of cleaning materials, other supplies, materials and goods.
• To identify and prioritise maintenance requirements and prepare and organise work programmes. To arrange and undertake first line repairs and maintenance, ensuring the most effective use of resources.
• Requirement to travel between centres as and when required.
Knowledge, skills and experience
• Experience of cleaning, caretaking and maintenance activities.
• Exemplar experience of Health & Safety regulations and policies / procedure’s.
• Proven understanding of Health & Safety and manual handling policies.
• Literacy and numeracy skills Level 2
• Good level of IT skills.
• Experience of planning and delivering work programmes
• Driving licence and ability to travel throughout the county as required.
Qualification certificates should be brought to interview.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Resourcing Team on 0333 013 5888.