This opportunity is on a 12-month, fixed term basis. Working hours are Monday to Friday, 37 hours per week.
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda - one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We're immensely proud of our flexible working options.
The Data Developer is part of a specialist team with technical expertise and knowledge to deliver management information to the organisation. Using professional industry recognised techniques the role is critical in delivering accessible real time data and information to operational teams to empower them to make business decisions and deliver effective/efficient services. The role works closely with analysis specialists to turn abstract business questions and academic concepts into highly valued intelligence and insights.
The role applies technical capabilities across the functional areas of the business and familiarity with tools and techniques that optimise and automate processes. The role will act as a key enabler and provide seamless integration with the rest of the service. The role may also offer specialist knowledge within a chosen subject area or have an interest in using skills to develop predictive analytics and translate business requirements into technical specifications.
* Responsible for designing and deploying data table structures, reports, queries and dashboards and maintaining a library of accessible and relevant self-serve reports for operational staff and colleagues.
* Responsible for designing, delivering and maintaining a reporting environment which creates interfaces between databases and database tools for analysts and officers to create simple reports to answer queries.
* Working collaboratively with Business Intelligence Officers to deliver streamlined and automated processes to reduce the resource use of low impact but key statutory tasks and management information reporting.
* Responsible for actively maintaining skills and knowledge in relation to systems, processes and data within service areas to support effective change control process and minimise disruption.
* Responsible for identifying inefficiencies in current databases and investigating solutions utilising change control and testing processes for database modifications to enable diagnosis and resolution of database access and performance issues.
* Responsible for preparing and maintaining documentation and specifications, translating requirements from service areas into technical specifications to support effective joint working and providing robust audit trails for statutory purposes.
* Responsible for providing clear communication to performance officers & analysts and service areas on the progress of reports and the reports repository in order to support collaborative working promote the use of accessible information across the organisation.
* Working collaboratively within and across service boundaries and building effective working relationships with Information Services to support a cycle of effective data recording in turn supporting effective reporting and analysis.
* Responsible for utilising problem solving abilities and proactively exploring best practice to provide timely recommendations on database products, services, protocols and standards in support of procurement and development.
* Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Knowledge, skills and experience
* Educated to degree level or equivalent by experience.
* Evidence of continuing professional development and knowledge in relevant professional area.
* Highly competent in the use of Structured Query Language (SQL) with the ability to learn quickly and be proactive in continuing to develop programming skills.
* Demonstrable theoretical and working knowledge of relational database theory with significant experience in using a variety of Business Intelligence tools e.g. Power BI, Business objects and SSRS, with the ability to quickly adapt and learn new innovative products.
* Demonstrable practical working application of ETL principles with experience across the project and development life cycle.
* Demonstrable basic database administration skills in order to maintain current intelligence platforms to ensure data security, integrity and appropriate and timely access to end users.
* Significant understanding of data, data processing and quality assurance procedures, with demonstrable knowledge of data protection regulations to ensure compliance with legal obligations.
* Excellent collaboration and communication skills and experience of working as part of a multi-disciplinary team and within in a matrix environment.