Employee Relations Advisor
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda - one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We're immensely proud of our flexible working options.
Employee Relations Advisors play a critical role as we make a step change in the way we deliver people related services to customers and organise our transactional work in the Organisational Design and People function. You will be specialists in practically supporting in the delivery of employee standards.
Employee Relations Advisors will be responsible for providing excellent customer service and first line and second line resolution of customer queries and advice across People Operations, including People queries and casework, Leadership and Talent, Performance Management, Occupational Health, DBS, Payroll and employment contract management.
Passionate about customer services, ensuring People Operations is easy to access and navigate, so customers are able to quickly resolve their people queries and issues. HR case work specialists, but also able to provide advice and guidance on the full range of customer queries.
* Responsible for providing accurate high-quality advice and information on the range of ODP specialisms to line managers leading the resolution of employment issues, signposting to appropriate policy, procedures and guidance, based on professional expertise, skills and knowledge.
* Manage a caseload of people related issues such as onboarding, probation, grievance, sickness performance improvement and discipline, working collaboratively with Line Managers and People Consultants.
* Support the development of local Service Level Agreements (SLA) for People Operations, on an ongoing basis, to ensure they reflect customer needs and a service they value.
* Responsible for maintaining and monitoring accuracy of case records, to make necessary improvements and track progress against Service Level Agreements.
* Contribute to the analysis of trends in data requirements, to identify changes and improvements to ODP service and policies/standards, including accessibility issues.
* Working as part of the service centre team, capture and update guidance material to ensure consistency of advice provided.
* Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
* Partly CIPD qualified or equivalent, or working towards this qualification, with evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in professional area.
* Experience of advising, supporting and guiding managers in employment casework, with a good knowledge and understanding of relevant employment legislation and practice.
* Evidence of performing against set targets to meet service levels and a desire to continually improve the service offered.
* Ability to communicate effectively, demonstrating empathy, listening and questioning skills to a very high level and ability to build rapport and trust when dealing with sensitive employee issues.
* Strong team working, motivation and ability to build effective working relationships with colleagues across the Council.
* Solution focussed with an ability to confidently manage and prioritise multiple demands, seeking continuous improvement.
* Good working knowledge of MS Office suite of products and business technology and the ability to use systems.
Qualification certificates should be brought to interview.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.