Parks & Cemeteries Development Officer
We are seeking a committed professional who wants to work in a busy parks and open spaces management team and who will enjoy using their skills to make a difference to the lives of the residents of Bexley. If you think you have what it takes to join a team that deals with a wide range of issues when managing 623Ha of Bexley’s 106 parks and open spaces, 4 cemeteries and 35 allotments then we would like to hear from you. This is a varied an interesting role that would suit someone that can handle an eclectic mix of projects and works. Someone that is self-motivated and cares about open spaces and the role they have in supporting the lives of the community.
Main responsibilities of post holder:
• Design, procure, supervise and control budgets for specialist projects in parks and open spaces and cemeteries.
• Supervise the front line management of external contractors that provide park’s building cleansing services, and landscaping; and parks, allotment and cemeteries infrastructure improvements.
• Work with and promote Friends Groups, volunteers, user groups and stakeholders to support the provision of parks and open spaces.
• Devise and promote parks projects and secure external funding through applications to external bodies.
• Actively promote and enhance parks and open spaces and cemeteries services through effective public relations.
• Develop polices to promote the effective management of Parks and Open Spaces and Cemeteries including the application of statutory obligations such as Byelaws, Dog Control Orders, Cemetery Regulations etc. Including promoting the use of parks for the benefit of all residents through, supporting healthy activities, events, passive recreation, the amenity value; and protection and enhancement of the natural environment.
• Work with colleagues to manage policies, and liaise with developers on planning issues to enhance the green environment of the borough.
• Provide technical advice to colleagues, reporting to the Parks and Landscape Manager, Councillors, the public and external bodies in connection with the services.
Their duties will include:
• Supervision of contractors working in the borough’s parks and open spaces.
• Procure works and services in parks, cemeteries and allotments.
• Represent the Head of Parks and Open Spaces on project management teams in connection with Parks services.
• Design and manage projects in the Borough’s parks.
• Promote and support park Friends Groups.
• Provide technical advice to the Head of Parks and Open Spaces and team colleagues in connection with parks, cemeteries and allotment services.
• Deal with correspondence and report writing in connection with the services.
• Promote the importance and relevance of parks and open spaces in the lives of residents.
• Work with colleagues to implement and review polices in support of park’s services.
Background and personality:
• The Council is looking for a person who has a broad range of experience working in parks and open spaces management environment.
• A person with a broad range of landscaping and horticultural knowledge.
• Success in creating and delivering stand-alone projects in parks and open spaces using external contractors.
• A person who has experience in procuring works and services for parks, cemeteries and allotments.
• A person who is confident dealing directly with residents and members of Friends Groups to help solve any issues they may have.
• An ability to handle a varied workload, and plan and prioritise their work as a member of a busy team.
• Good interpersonal communication and literacy skills.
• Evidence of qualifications that demonstrate literacy, numeracy and an adequate educational standard for the varied role.
• Recognised qualifications and/or proven experience in landscaping, horticulture and the management of parks and open spaces and cemeteries.
What we offer:
- Career Average Revalued Earnings Pension Scheme
- Performance Related Pay
- 25 days Annual Leave (rising to 27 after 5 years’ service) plus Bank Holiday Entitlement
- Annual Leave Purchase Scheme
- An excellent working environment at our fantastic new offices
- Opportunities for flexible working with excellent ICT facilities
- MyChoice Staff Benefit Scheme – Includes Childcare Vouchers, Cycle to Work Scheme, access to high street shopping vouchers and online discount codes.
Bexley is an outer London Borough with the best of both worlds, located between the hustle and bustle of London and the Garden of England, Kent. Within the borough we have award winning parks, open spaces and listed heritage sites.
To find out more about these posts please contact Donald Sonnenberg on 0203 045 3687
- Closing Date for your application: 23/10/2019
- Please visit https://jobs.bexley.gov.uk/wrlive to find out more and apply. CVs will not be accepted unless they are submitted with a completed application form.
- Anticipated Interview date: TBC
This post is considered by the authority to be a customer-facing position; as such it falls within scope of the Code of Practice on English language requirement for public sector workers. The council therefore has a statutory duty under Part 7 of the Immigration Act 2016 to ensure that post holders have a command of spoken English sufficient for the effective performance of the job requirements. The appropriate standards are set out in the JD/Person Specification. These will be applied during the recruitment/selection and probationary stages.