Health & Safety Lead Officer
This is an exciting opportunity to join Sandwell’s corporate Health and Safety Unit. On a day to day basis you will be, supporting the implementation of corporate health & safety plan. You will be assisting the H&S manager in the development and ongoing review of the corporate health and safety management system (HSMS), ensuring it is fit for purpose, robust, and embedded across the organisation.
Duties will include:
- Carrying out reactive and proactive monitoring of service area activity
- Working collaboratively with trade union safety representatives, other staff members and safety team colleagues to achieve a positive safety culture
- Supporting senior managers in overseeing all aspects of health and safety in accordance with legislation, codes of practice, safe methods of work and accepted good practice.
- Delivering the corporate health and safety training programme as required.
- Maintaining the existing health and safety management systems (HSMS).
- Investigating incidents when required and ensuring that RIDDOR reports have been completed where required.
We are seeking candidates that currently hold a NEBOSH Diploma qualification (or equivalent), or someone that holds the NEBOSH National General Certificate (or equivalent) and are willing to/working towards the Diploma (or equivalent) within 2 years.
To be successful, you will have experience of working within a large complex organisation, ideally within a local authority/public sector setting.
You will be resilient, able to work under pressure, and have excellent communication skills, taking a pragmatic and persuasive approach to problem solving.
Our Values; Trust, Unity and Progress make us unique, they define how we do things and are reflected in the way we behave. They are important to us, guiding and shaping our organisational culture. Our values are key to us achieving Sandwell’s Vision 2030 and also guide us when we recruit.
37 hours per week
This vacancy and advert will be closed as soon as sufficient applications are received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible.