Assistant Engineer or Engineer
5 days left
- Contract Type
- Full time
Do you have experience of working in a highway or traffic environment, or are you a recent engineering graduate with an interest in highways and traffic?
We have an exciting opportunity for a permanent Assistant Engineer/Engineer within the traffic and engineering division to provide support in the management and delivery of highway engineering services, including traffic and parking schemes. You will be working in a stimulating and worthwhile role within a hardworking and supportive environment, based in Richmond Council’s offices in Twickenham, London.
The purpose of the job:
Provide support to senior engineers and managers designing and supervising a wide range of highway schemes from; minor yellow line parking adjustments, to traffic calming, road safety, and major town centre public realm schemes.
- Provide supervision as required to assigned staff and take responsibility for the allocation and checking of work by staff.
- Advise and support senior managers on relevant service and operational matters.
- Contribute as required with performance review and improvement measures on an ongoing basis.
- Help to ensure that a customer focus is embedded within the function; and innovative and creative solutions are evaluated to securing the highest quality and value for money function.
- Contribute as required to the commissioning, market testing and contract management of services.
- Good technical knowledge and/or highway engineering experience.
- Experience of working in an engineering environment including proficient use of AUTOCAD and associated software packages.
- You may have a degree or HNC/HND in engineering or an associated subject.
- Good IT skills along with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good organisational skills and ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure in a busy and demanding environment.
- The ability to manage projects working closely with other members of the team and other stakeholders.
Please review the attached Job Profile for the full details on this varied role.
Why choose us?
We can offer you working arrangements that will enhance your work-life balance, including a generous holiday allowance of 31 days plus bank holidays.
In addition, we offer a range of staff benefits such as membership of the Local Government contributory pension scheme, childcare vouchers, new technology scheme, interest-free loans on annual travel cards, discounts at many leisure activities, restaurants, shops and other establishments. A wide range of developmental opportunities is also offered.
Indicative Recruitment Timeline
Closing Date: Sunday 17th November 2019
Shortlisting Date: Friday 22nd November 2019
Interview Date: Monday 2nd December 2019
Please note that these dates are only indicative at this stage and could be subject to change.
The closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils are committed to making our recruitment practices as inclusive as possible for everyone. We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and developing a culture that values differences, recognising that employees from a variety of backgrounds bring important and positive contributions to the Councils and can improve the way we deliver services. We are proud to be a Disability Confident employer.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.