Senior Practitioner - Family Support & Protection
In ECC we are "Serious about Social Work". Having recently won the Best Social Work Employer of the Year Award 2018 and been awarded 'Outstanding' by Ofsted this is an exciting time to join us. As if that wasn't enough, Essex has also been announced as a Partner in Practice by the Department of Education, and the Essex Social Care Academy (ESCA) is the only Local Authority team in the country to be accredited by BASW as a CPD provider. We have invested in our workforce and created a positive environment for our social workers to make a difference and achieve change for our most vulnerable children and families through direct relationship-based social work practice. We have supported our staff to have an understanding of systemic theoretical framework and models underpinning our interventions; to have access to the right tools, equipment and resources; and also the right supervision, training and learning opportunities they need to be strong practitioners.
You would be joining our team at an exciting time as we are currently developing the role of the Senior Practitioner to have a reduced caseload and include a Duty Senior role being responsible for managing the day to day tasks for the duty social workers.
You will be responsible for the management of your own complex cases.
You will be supporting the Team Managers through chairing Complex Core Groups and CIN meetings, attending RCPCs, completing case audits, supporting the workflow within the team by helping to make decisions about action required, including step downs and closure, supporting social workers to develop their court skills and direct work skills within the team. You will also support the progression and supervision of newly qualified social workers and students within the team.
Ensure effective clinical supervision reflects best practice and incorporates research/evidence-based approach. Assess the needs and risks for children and identify actions appropriate to meet need and address risk.
Why work with Family Support and Protection in Basildon?
* Free onsite parking for staff, easily accessible via A13/A127
* Great team morale, friendly, helpful, supportive colleagues
* Permanent managers in both areas who are supportive, encouraging and available
* All teams are based in the same offices which is great for collaborative working
* Great training pathways for staff, encouragement to all staff for their continual professional development
* Good working relationships with other teams and professionals. Step down processes to partner agencies embedded
* Staff are provided with monthly reflective supervision
* We are passionate about the use of systemic thinking/practice in interventions.
Skills and Knowledge
Diploma in Social Work, CQSW, CSS or equivalent.
* HCPC Registration as a Registered Social Worker
* Evidence of continuing professional development
* IT/Word Processing Skills
* Evidence of recent practice at an experienced social worker level, supported by comprehensive working knowledge and experience within the field of practice in Children Services
* Preferably with experience of Child Protection work including section 47 investigations and assessments since the implementation of the Children's Act 1989.Considerable, recent experience of communicating with children of all ages and working in partnership with parents and/or carers.
* Experience in planning activities and programmes for children, young people and parents.
* Experience of Court work in relation to Child Care matters and have an understanding of the legal process.
* Detailed knowledge of current legislation pertinent to Child Protection (e.g. CA1989, CJA1991), Guidance and Regulations.
* Knowledge and understanding of child development, relating theory and practice.
Qualification certificates should be brought to interview.
The role requires you to be mobile throughout a wide operational area including travelling around the county of Essex and beyond, transporting service users and their belongings and to be able to do so in an emergency. Driving licence and car or ability to meet the mobility requirements of the role through other means is essential.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. For more information please use the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits/
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Recruitment Team on 0333 013 5888