Lead Specialist, Legal & Monitoring Officer
Leading delivery of our legal function and ensuring the highest level of conduct for our Councillors and employees. We are an ambitious and forward-thinking council. We place our residents and businesses firmly at the centre of everything we do and we are incredibly proud of the work we have achieved alongside our communities in 2018/19.
We are passionate about transforming, improving and adapting to be ready for the future. Are you?
This is an exciting time to join us as we seek to appoint a Lead Specialist to lead delivery of our legal function. As our most senior Legal Officer you will provide expert advice and guidance to assist with the most complex areas that we face. This role also includes our Monitoring Officer responsibilities and you will be responsible for ensuring the highest level of conduct for our Councillors and employees. With exceptional standards of professional practice you will work with a team of Specialist and Case Officers to deliver professional services moving forward.
So, who are we looking for?
- You are a qualified solicitor.
- You will have the ability to act strategically at a consistently high level, providing advice to key decision makers to ensure compliance with all legal, statutory and constitutional requirements.
- You will demonstrate a track record of achievement with significant technical expertise and the ability to challenge constructively and with gravitas.
- You will have experience of working with elected Members.
- Experience of governance around commercial approaches within the public sector would be an advantage.
We are One Team – Ambitious for South Somerset. To be successful in this role you will need to be collaborative and share our ambition for doing our best for the council and the communities of South Somerset. In return we offer an encouraging environment that will allow you to achieve your best work/life balance and career aspirations, extensive benefits and a local government pension scheme, oh and one of the best places to live in the country!
You should be aware that the salary stated for the role includes a market supplement of £5,000 per annum, which is subject to review after 3 years.
For more information about the role, please speak to Netta Meadows, Director Strategy & Support Services on 01935 462200.
Closing Date – 5pm 8/11/19
Interview Date – 28/11/19
Job Ref – 1793