Senior Street Lighting Engineer
- Are you looking for working arrangements that enhance your work-life balance?
- Are you a competent electrically trained Engineer?
- Do you have experience of the maintenance and design of street lighting?
- Do you have a proven history of contract management?
If you answered yes, we would love to hear from you!
About the opportunity:
We are looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated Engineer, who can work on their own initiative to tight deadlines to join our Street Lighting Team.
This is a unique opportunity to assist a closely-knit team of Street Lighting Engineers and provide comprehensive Engineering service.
You will work as part of our team and manage, inspect and monitor our street lighting asset installations; and enhance the efficient daily routine maintenance of the street lighting services in Richmond and Wandsworth.
The job will be initially be equally split between Wandsworth and Richmond Boroughs and will eventually be permanently based in Wandsworth at the Frogmore Depot by 2023.
- Assist the Principal Street Lighting Engineer to design, maintain and manage all illuminated street furniture in Richmond and Wandsworth.
- Be responsible for the day to day operation of the street lighting section and work in partnership with other service providers to develop an integrated approach to service delivery.
- Assist in the overall management and delivery of the street lighting term contract.
- Assess the safety and record the installation details of new street light installations.
- Chair meeting and monitor contractors and their employees.
- Provide post-meeting reports ensuring documents are distributed within the statutory timeframes.
- Have a background in contract management and highway specification contracts.
- Be able to identify and update the street lighting asset register and computer management system.
- Understand the need for accuracy of contractual measurements and payments; street works and permitting on the public highway.
- Confident in communicating with members of the public, council officers and Councillors in writing and by telephone.
- Qualified to inspect street lighting and electrical installations on the public highway.
- Good communicator and have confidence to deal with people at all levels.
The ideal candidate will have relevant professional qualification in Electrical Engineering and / or ILP Exterior Street Lighting Diploma (or closely related discipline) and thorough knowledge of Electrical Regulations; and Health and Safety Legislation.
Experience of Electrical Engineering or experience between 3 and 8 years’ in Street Lighting would be also beneficial.
How to apply:
Please submit your CV, complete a short questionnaire and a supporting statement addressing how you meet the requirements of this role.
If you are having difficulty in applying online, please contact the Recruitment Team on 0208 871 8825 or email@example.com to see if we can offer alternative arrangements for you to apply.
Why choose us:
In return, we can offer you working arrangements that will enhance your work-life balance. These include the opportunity of job share, home working (dependent on service need) and a generous holiday allowance of up to 31 days plus bank holidays.
In addition, we offer a range of staff benefits such as membership of the Local Government contributory pension scheme, childcare vouchers, new technology scheme, interest-free loans on annual travel cards, discounts at many leisure activities, restaurants, shops, and other establishments.
A wide range of developmental opportunities are also offered.
(COVID-19) - information for job applicants
Given the ongoing situation, we have not set a closing date for this job vacancy. We are unable to currently advise when interviews will be arranged. We feel that this is the correct and responsible decision to make in these exceptional circumstances in view of:
• increased demand on the time of the council staff in response to the pandemic
• the need to support more vigilant public health measures.
We appreciate that applicants will want further information. However, as this is an unprecedented situation, arrangements for undertaking these interviews will require careful consideration. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils are committed to making our recruitment practices as inclusive as possible for everyone. We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and developing a culture that values differences, recognising that employees from a variety of backgrounds bring important and positive contributions to the Councils and can improve the way we deliver services. We are proud to be a Disability Confident employer.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.