Strategic Housing Manager
Salary: subject to Job Evaluation - Grade 5 (£39,281-£45,591) or 6(£45,591-51,897) per annum
Place of Work: Elizabeth House, Dereham
Basis: 18-month contract
We are seeking a senior manager to deliver Breckland Council’s strategic housing agenda.
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships and alliances across a range of key housing delivery partners, including those from across the private, public and third sector, with a view to enabling the delivery of the council’s housing priorities.
- Develop the authority’s position as an ‘intelligent council’ in respect of housing need, demand, pressures and market trend across the district, with a view to assist in shaping the council’s wider corporate agendas linked to strategic growth, social mobility and vulnerability.
- Work in collaboration with partners and elected members to develop strategies and policies designed to support the delivery of the council’s corporate objectives in respect of housing
- Provide leadership to the delivery of the housing ‘enabling’ function, ensuring that the Council takes a proactive and positive approach to supporting partners in the delivery of a wide range of housing, including affordable and specialist housing.
A bit about us:
At Breckland Council we have embraced the Government's agenda to modernise local government. Our approach is to lead change rather than follow it, and to add the best value we can to our communities. Our employees enjoy excellent conditions of service including a local government pension scheme, free car parking and family friendly policies. With this role the package includes 30 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and private health insurance.
You trust your own judgment and are quite happy to take ownership of, and responsibility for, your own decisions and accountabilities. You pay attention to the wider factors and the bigger picture that will inform the decisions you make to achieve your objectives, thinking ahead to anticipate problems before they happen. You are self-motivated and push yourself hard to achieve what you want out of life. Approaching things in original and ingenious ways, you naturally build connections between people, instinctively making links and introductions.
You are quick to establish rapport, building and maintaining relationships. People like dealing with you because you make things easy for them to understand and you focus on and listen to what they say. You are highly persuasive and are able to bring others round to your way of thinking and to win agreement for what you want to achieve. You motivate and inspire others to make things happen, striving to produce work that is of the highest quality.
You create the conditions for people in your team to learn and develop for themselves. You provide fair and accurate feedback to them so that they can grow. You are flexible in your approach to work and enable them to be the same.
About the role:
- provide strategic advice in relation to the development of plans and policy that are specific to housing.
- provide the leadership and vision necessary to coordinate the activities of the Strategic Housing services to drive forward the council’s key priorities through the effective management of resources, including contract management, and by ensuring that opportunities for improving the service are maximised.
- lead and direct the council regarding matters of Housing Strategy and Policy in line with changing legislation and governance of public services, and to advise and prepare the councils for future changes.
- work collaboratively with the Government Office and housing providers across the regions in developing research and information resources.
- develop good working relations with key stakeholders so that housing resources in all sectors are fully utilised to meet local needs.
- lead on the development and implementation of strategic housing projects.
- maintain an overview of local, county and national policies in respect of housing strategy, ensuring local priorities and issues are represented accordingly.
- manage to maximisation of affordable housing delivery, in conjunction with planning teams, private developers, housing providers and investors.
- provide specialist advice and guidance to senior managers, members, colleagues on matters of strategic housing and housing policy.
- actively promote and contribute to the development of major council initiatives
- assist in the monitoring and management of relevant service budgets.
- manage the performance of the relevant staff and coach to high achievement through both performance objectives and the competency framework.
- work positively, effectively and collaboratively with partner organisations for mutual benefit and to deliver the outcomes required by the Council
Closing date: 9am, Monday 20th July 2020
We are committed to being an Equal Opportunities employer, recognising the benefits of sustaining a workforce which reflects the diversity of the community we serve. We welcome applications from anyone who feels they meet the requirements of our vacancies - these are listed as essential requirements on the person specification (within the Recruitment Pack).
To apply for this role, applicants should review the Recruitment Pack below and complete an Application Form which should be sent to email@example.com