Social Value Lead - 12-18 month Fixed Term Contract
Please note that this opportunity is available on a Secondment basic for up to 18 months.
Ideally this will be a full time post, however we could consider someone working 30 hours a week as a minimum.
Interviews will be conducted the week commencing the 3rd August.
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda - one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We're immensely proud of our flexible working options.
The role of Procurement is to work with stakeholders across ECC to understand requirements for goods and services make an assessment of the market and, determine the appropriate strategy for each spend area. The team actively manage strategic suppliers and their contracts.
The Social Value Coordinator will be responsible for bringing together all activity related to ECCs social value strategy. They will take a lead on implementing a new approach to social value throughout the organisation which focuses on achieving ECCs priority areas. They will lead the development of the insight and reporting required to demonstrate the organisations achievement of social value targets and will be responsible for taking forward best practice and sharing with the sector and partners.
* Roles at this level will be focused on delivering results in a specific functional area. They will hold expertise on the application of policy and improvement of service delivery. These roles have clear team budgets and targets set within the overall service requirements
* Operational planning and performance review to maintain exceptional service delivery and ensures the political objectives and priorities of the council are met
* Working collaboratively within and across functions to and thinking commercially support the delivery of best possible outcomes for our customers on a financially sustainable basis.
* Maintain and nurture collaborative relationships with other teams in the function and external organisations that support the delivery of annual plans.
* Implementing changes and continually evaluating service to improve the area of work, while maintaining the highest possible levels of service quality are continually delivered
* Managing complex issues and resources to meet the needs of customers and deliver the best possible outcomes
* Effective utilisation of digital technologies and innovation across the function.
* Equality and diversity is celebrated and considered as part of all decisions taken.
* Using professional expertise to translate goals and plans into ways of working that comply with relevant legislation and statutory requirements and manages a level of appropriate risk.
* Deliver exemplar customer interactions to individuals and communities which support strong relationships and a reputation for achieving outcomes and resolving issues
* Educating internal teams and external partners on the delivery of social value and priority areas for ECC.
* Lead on the development of social value procurement policy and ensure appropriate training and support is in place.
* Embedding social value priorities into commissioning and business planning through senior stakeholder engagement.
* Ensure the organisation achieves social value performance targets. Quantify the social value delivered directly by Essex County Council and ensure corporate level reporting is maintained.
* Provide oversight to all Social Value projects across the organisation ensuring that appropriate links are made to aid the delivery of objectives.
* Provide supplier engagement co-ordination for new procurement projects and existing strategic suppliers.
* Develop Contract Management approaches to ensure that supplier's social value commitments are delivered upon and incorporated into performance reporting.
* Create a network of anchor institutions to develop a joint approach to social value.
* Act as a central point of knowledge on the Social Value Act and best practice within local government and the private sector.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience* Educated to a degree level with a relevant professional qualification (such as MCIPS) or equivalent demonstrable work experience. Evidence of continuing professional development.
* Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in Procurement. CIPS Membership desirable.
* A demonstrable track record of delivering significant change within and across organisations.
* Extensive knowledge of Procurement, including category management, sourcing and contract management in a large, complex, business critical environment. This should include evidence of using continuous improvement techniques to lead the improvement of key elements of supplier performance, deliver value added opportunities, innovation and the mitigation of contract and supplier risks.
* Extensive negotiation and influencing skills appropriate to multi million pound contracts and experience of planning and delivering successful negotiations.
* Experienced complex project manager
* Excellent communication skills.
* Experience of working in a political environment and skilled in understanding and responding to different perspectives.