Head of Finance, Adult Social Care - 12 month FTC
Essex County Council (ECC), one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, is continuing to manage its Covid-19 response and is focused on transformational recovery. This role will drive the delivery of a high performing, customer focused service, being proactive and creatively looking for ways to shape future services.
The Head of Finance will play a significant role, leading financial strategy for their portfolio and ensuring exemplary decision making and financial planning in the medium to long term. This will be balanced with ensuring compliance with all corporate requirements including statutory reporting and fiduciary duties.
This strategic leader will have the ability to build strong internal and external working relationships, influencing other senior leaders. Driving strategic financial planning and direction in the Adults functional leadership team will maximize opportunities for insight and innovative solutions.
Accountable for the development of financial strategy for Adult Social Care, providing intelligence and insight on the likely financial consequences and highlighting risks on commercial decision making.
Accountable for determining key financial information regarding existing commercial and income generating operations. Leading commercial insight which enables the business to make 'stop, grow, enter' decisions relating to asset sweating, income and profit generation.
Accountable for providing insight which enables functions to ensure payment of income. Actively leading and managing the optimisation of income recovery and creative ways to test 'means to pay'.
Work collaboratively with Directors in commercial negotiations to achieve the best possible value for money outcomes. Develop strong and influential relationships with national and regional organisations to promote the interests of Essex, identify areas for innovation, learning, and income generation.
Responsible for driving cost reduction plans across the Council and meet strategic objectives. As a financial expert influence corporate management board and elected members on financial plans, monitoring performance and determining financial risks.
Accountable for sector wide finance collaboration, building networks to make ECC a leading edge organisation for financial policy and practices. Working closely with regional finance groups, CIPFA and other relevant bodies to identify impact assessment on new policy decisions.
Lead from a financial and commercial perspective in ensuring that all ECC proposals
contributing to the strategic change agenda are viable, represent value for money and have the support of external stakeholders.
Influence senior management direction and decision making on financial and wider
performance issues, deriving information and statistics from a wide range of sources.
Ensure all areas of financial risk to the Council's service delivery are adequately
identified, quantified and reported and take steps to mitigate these. Knowledge, Skills and Experience
* Possesses a full CCAB qualification with significant post qualification experience.
* Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in financial support to the Adult Social Care area.
* Knowledge and understanding of strategic financial management and financial frameworks in a public sector setting. Proven track record of strong delivery and performance focus.
* Experience of successfully leading and delivering major cultural and organisational change in a large complex organisation which is rapidly progressing.
* Engaging and working with senior leadership teams, providing strategic financial advice and critical decision-making. Identifying and delivering innovative and effective means of financing the delivery of large scale services.
* Developing and managing financial management systems.
* Proven track record in forging a highly performing and motivated finance team from diverse backgrounds and the ability to lead and influence multi-disciplinary teams at senior management level to achieve strategic objectives.
* Ability to establish credibility with Executive Directors, their management teams, Cabinet Members and other key stakeholders. Build strong working relationships with finance professionals across and outside of the organisation.