Senior Commissioning Officer
***This is a 12 Month Fixed Term Contract***
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda - one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We're immensely proud of our flexible working options.
Job Summary and Responsibilities
Commissioning activity is a key capability function within ECC, to work across the Council to deliver results and bring about significant change to manage future challenges, leveraging expertise and capability to enable a more flexible and agile environment to succeed in meeting ECC strategic objectives.
One fifth of Essex's population is over 65 and this is projected to increase to almost one third by 2030.
Working closely with the Commissioning Manager, this role is focused on providing support, insight and capacity to Heads of Strategic Commissioning and Policy within Adults Social Care - Older People teams, to enable the collaborative delivery of outcomes for citizens, using relevant and specific subject matter expertise.
With a range of experience across programme delivery, stakeholder management and business processes, this role will be responsible for the effective delivery of commissioning activity, working collaboratively across the wider Council with stakeholders and external partners to deliver a more flexible and agile approach to delivering outcomes.
* Work with Commissioning Managers and Heads of Strategic Commissioning and Policy, to provide commissioning capability and capacity within Older People Commissioning and Policy Teams and work with teams from across the Council and with partners, for specific programmed pieces of commissioning activity to deliver improved outcomes for citizens.
* Responsible for engaging with partners, providers and the citizens of Essex to gather information and insight to inform current and future programme developments and ensure these are incorporated into potential solutions and consider digital options in this context.
* Provide subject matter expert advice and guidance as required for thematic programmes and projects to ensure exemplary outcomes.
* Responsible for supporting managers to ensure that specific priorities are planned with an ability to deliver, based on capacity and capability to ensure outcomes and policies meet agreed service levels.
* Support specific commissioning programmes and activities that drive further continuous improvement to ensure high performing, sustainable and cost effective services or place shaping activities.
* Collaboratively co-design solutions, drawing on good data and insight, expertise methods and approaches.
* Innovatively respond to new challenges and opportunities ensuring that risks are mitigated and managed, meeting all compliance with internal regulation.
* Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
* Evidence of continuing professional development and knowledge in relevant business, process or professional area.
* Knowledge and experience of the commissioning cycle together with experience in using a project methodology approach.
* Evidence of engaging local communities and citizens and incorporating such insights and intelligence into plans.
* Proven ability of developing a learning culture based on best practice.
* Experience of working within a political and complex environment, working effectively with a range of stakeholder and partner agencies at all levels.
* Pro-active and innovative with a proven track record of delivery within timescales.
* Must hold a full driving license with access to a vehicle
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits