Senior Sustainability & Resilience Officer
***Please note this a fixed term contract from September 2020 to March 2023***
It would be advantageous to be French speaking and have experience of EU funding projects.
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda - one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We're immensely proud of our flexible working options.
The Senior Sustainability and Resilience Officer will deliver and evaluate predominantly waste reduction schemes and projects, communication campaigns, reuse and recycling initiatives, in order to minimise waste as part of the BLUEPRINT to a Circular Economy project funded by Interreg VA France (Channel) England Programme.
The role contributes to the preparation of reports to internal and external audiences which may include funding bodies, peers, and stakeholders, detailing progress, development and impact of activities. Playing a significant role in gaining the co-operation of internal and external stakeholders and partners, to ensure shared goals are met. The role is on the front line of waste prevention, recycling and environmental communications, delivering direct messages to the public.
* Responsible for project managing the development, implementation, day to day delivery, monitoring and evaluation of Sustainability and Resilience (S&R) campaigns and initiatives as part of the Blueprint to a circular economy project
* Work collaboratively with partners to provide support and maximise the impact of S&R campaigns and develop initiatives.
* Contribute to the development and operation of other S&R Projects as required.
* Responsible for undertaking on-going research to keep abreast of latest advancements, developments and best practice within the S&R sector.
* Delivers responses to enquiries from members of the public and external organisations and businesses.
* Manage communication channels between all partners and stakeholders (including elected members and senior officers) and provide information to the public through a variety of communication mediums, ensuring an effective two-way flow of information.
* Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Experience / Qualifications* Educated to 'A' level or equivalent by experience
* Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area
* A broad interest and understanding of waste management, environmental issues and wider sustainability and resilience issues
* Experience of managing and prioritising own work load and working on own initiative.
* Strong communication skills with the ability to engage with a number of different, stakeholders including but not limited to public, private and voluntary sector bodies.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.