Principal Planning Officer - Growth and Development
Would you like to have the opportunity to be at the forefront of creating new communities? Are you a highly motivated, experienced senior or principal planning officer who understands the delivery of large scale and strategic site and proposals? Are you looking for a new, different and interesting challenge working for a highly motivated team addressing the infrastructure challenge for new large scale and complex development? This is new role will be demanding, yet varied and rewarding.
We are taking the best principles of town planning and applying the technology of the future to create environmentally sustainable places. Planning so that future communities can enjoy a high quality of life with decent affordable housing. This is a rare and exciting opportunity to be part of a more recently established planning team at the County to deliver a strong policy response to proposed large scale communities throughout Essex, including development and delivery of policy compliant masterplans.
This is a unique opportunity to be at the forefront of the growth agenda within Essex. Although this post is initially fixed for 2 years, there may well be opportunity for extension, dependent on budget and continuation of the long term projects for the delivery of new garden communities that this role would be leading on. We are seeking a highly-motivated, enthusiastic and experienced planner to join our growing and forward-thinking team to work on specific challenging residential, employment and infrastructure schemes and proposals. The primary focus of the successful candidate will be working with partners supporting the delivery of emerging proposals; there will also be opportunity to get involved in a range of significant growth projects across in the county acting as the lead officer for the county delivering a single planning response to planning, incorporating the needs and requirements of development from an array of service areas and being the interface with the districts and boroughs and other partners.
The postholder will be required to work closely with a wide range of public and private sector stakeholders to ensure that Essex's interests are effectively communicated and protected. Working as part of the team, you would get involved in different projects at the earliest opportunity, supporting them from inception to delivery and providing a robust and co-ordinated response to growth challenges and opportunities as they arise. Excellent project management, negotiation, written and communication skills are a must.
As the key point of contact for specific site and proposals, this post would work alongside the manager and other principal planners within the Growth and Development team to co-ordinate a single response to major development proposals, garden communities and large scale infrastructure projects from Essex County Council perspective to ensure that the best schemes are delivered to create sustainable communities. This is a real opportunity for the right person to shape and influence significant growth projects to ensure that they positively contribute to the local community in the short, medium and longer term.
Could this be you?
For an informal chat with one of the team, please email your preferred contact details to Growth&
* Single point of contact in relation to infrastructure and sustainable development requirements when engaging with specific large scale development proposals and the implementation phase of bringing forward garden communities.
* Leading on, alongside other team members, producing the Councils corporate response, in relation to National Significant Infrastructure Projects (NSIP) at both the pre-application and Development Consent Order (DCO) stage
* Responsible for delivering an efficient and effective service by leading the engagement with other relevant internal professional service area to facilitate and produce high quality, impactful and timely single response from Essex County Council to both pre-application and planning application stages, where there will be an effect on capacity of infrastructure, services and facilities to support new communities.
* Ensure Essex County Council is able to successfully influence the master planning, pre-application and planning application process by helping to secure planning policy compliant planning decisions, which secure the appropriate level of developer funded infrastructure contributions via S106 and other means; as well as and address S106 review clauses as and where necessary, particularly where development viability is raised and accounted for.
* Responsible for providing professional and authoritative advice on specialist/technical matters as well as acting as lead officer advising on and helping guide negotiations on complex and large scale planning applications and proposals.
* Responsible for co-ordinating and giving evidence at public inquiries, examinations in public and in court in order to qualify or defend ECC planning decisions where necessary.
For a list of Knowledge skills and experience required for the role, please visit www.workingforessex.com