Via currently has fantastic permanent and fixed-term opportunities to join our Major Projects & Improvements Team as a Project Engineer based at our Trent Bridge House office.
The successful candidate(s) will deliver civil engineering projects and provide specialist engineering services which enhance and maintain the road network and meet company business plan objectives. Our current projects include the construction of the £41m Gedling Access Road, design and delivery of the £22m A614 Major Road Network project which include six junction upgrades along the A614 / A6097 corridor and Transforming Cities delivering public transport and cycling infrastructure projects in and around Nottingham.
Main responsibilities include:
1. Design and manage the delivery of significant and complex highway and civil engineering projects to achieve quality, programme and financial targets meeting customer and stakeholder requirements.
2. Provide specialist design, technical and cost advice to colleagues, clients or external bodies to support delivery of complex and large-scale projects across the organisation.
3. Manage the evaluation and authorisation of externally designed engineering schemes on behalf of internal and external clients to ensure highway network asset meets regional and national design specification and safety standards.
4. Collaborate with Via’s Construction and Commercial Division to manage workflow there by achieving company business plan objectives for productivity and profit across design and build functions.
5. Ensure adherence to Health and Safety management systems, processes and requirements ensuring full compliance to health, safety and environmental legislation, policy and best practice and safeguarding staff contractors and members of the public.
6. Manage consultation, communication and liaison with clients and a wide range of internal and external stakeholders including members of the public and elected Members to facilitate project delivery and maintain a positive company reputation.
7. Act as an ambassador for individual schemes and the Company across professional, business and community events and networks at local and regional level.
The ideal candidate will have:
1. Degree in Civil Engineering or a related subject and post qualification relevant experience or equivalent knowledge gained through practical experience in a highway and/or civil engineering design environment.
2. Strong ICT skills including competence in specialist computer applications used to support highway design (such as Civils 3D) and civil engineering activities including working knowledge of current computer aided design software (AutoCAD) and knowledge of data management environments (Level 2 BIM).
3. Working knowledge of current highway design and civil engineering standards (DMRB, Specification for Highway Works), contracts (NEC3 or NEC4), and procedures.
4. Working knowledge of health and safety, technical, traffic management and other legislation and good practice appropriate to highway and civil engineering construction and maintenance activities.
5. Experience of providing information, communicating and working collaboratively with internal and external customers, stakeholders and colleagues to achieve delivery objectives.
6. Experience of managing project budgets and financial reporting of project programme.
7. Experience of all stages of project implementation from feasibility to construction on site
8. A high level of personal drive and commitment to excellent customer care and the ability to set an example to other staff.
We are a major employer in Nottinghamshire with a multi-skilled local workforce and a range of highly trained staff based at a number of different locations throughout the county.
Our roles include highway maintenance, electrical works, mechanics, construction, forestry, road safety, civil engineering and much more. We combine a public-sector service ethos with a strong commercial focus, and we are passionate about innovation and creating and delivering sustainable solutions safely across Nottinghamshire and the wider East Midlands.
Via’s a great place to work if you value work-life balance. Our employees enjoy generous annual leave allowances, with flexible working available to our office-based staff. With the majority of our work being based in the East Midlands, our front-line staff also enjoy short journeys to site each working day.
Our staff get access to a wide range of benefits. These include an excellent pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, buying and selling of annual leave and much more
By joining us you will be part of a growing organisation with great staff benefits that positively embraces customer and community aspirations.
To apply for this role, please send your CV to Via.HR@viaem.co.uk by Friday 9th October 2020.