Please note that there are two part time positions. 1 x 19 hours per week, term time1 x 18 hours per week, term time Please state in your application how many hours you are applying for. Working hours will be discussed at interview.
About the opportunity
Ugobus delivers tailored transport for businesses, residents and public sector organisations using our modern and fresh fleet of minibuses that are accessible for all. The team forms part of Essex County Council; one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK.
We take pride in getting to know our passengers; offering a transport service that is personable, dependable and friendly.
We're looking for people with an outward looking, caring and professional approach. The ideal person will naturally go above and beyond; acknowledging that our passengers value a friendly face and someone who is thoughtful and considerate. Flexibility is therefore essential.
As a Ugobus driver, you'll be working with a diverse range of passengers; working with students through to older people, and individuals with disabilities or special educational needs.
Specific duties you'll undertake:
- Daily checks of your vehicle to ensure safety, cleanliness and road worthiness
- Engaging with passengers on a daily basis, transporting them from home to their destination in a safe and comfortable manner
- Taking responsibility for safety on your vehicle at all times, including securing of equipment (e.g. tail lifts, wheelchairs), use of seatbelts and awareness of passenger needs
- Being Ugobus' first point of contact with customers and, where possible, resolving individual queries or concerns
- Timely communication of issues with your Area Co-ordinator to enable swift resolution
- Work closely, in partnership, with a passenger assistant (if applicable) to deliver an outstanding service to our customers.
- Hold a valid D1 driving license
- Experience in working with customers from a broad and diverse range of backgrounds/needs
- Can demonstrate prior experience of being adaptable and flexible to business pressures
- Ability to work under pressure and remain a calm and professional approach
- Ability to use a smartphone and/or tablet
- Demonstrate good communication and social skills in a customer-based setting
- An enhanced DBS check
- To undertake mandatory training; including, but not limited to MiDAS and First Aid
- Undertake an ECC minibus driver's assessment
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC), as your role will require an enhanced DBS check, you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.