Capital Delivery Manager (Major Works)
This department is responsible for housing, communities and improving the lives of local residents. This includes landlord services and estate management, planning, refurbishment, and advice and support to help maintain healthy and safe homes.
A significant part of our work is focused on creating stronger communities, by working together with local residents on recovery following the Grenfell tragedy.
In response to London’s affordable homes crisis, we are committed to building more social housing to help people on lower incomes to live, work, and raise their families in the borough. Our housing team also work closely with affordable housing providers and other agencies to manage homelessness and give support to older residents to live independently.
Find out more about our vacancies here.
Please refer to the Job Description for more information.
Following the re-organisation of the Housing Management Property Services Team, we are entering a period of change for us and the Social Housing sector. RBKC was granted a budget of £267m in order to carry out works via our Capital Delivery Programme over a 7-year period.
You will manage a team who in turn will manage a portfolio of individual contracts and call off projects from the RBKC’s procured contractor and consultants frameworks within the Capital Delivery budget.
In joining the busy Capital Delivery Team as Capital Delivery Manager, you will play a vital role in delivering the programme on time, to budget and at the required quality whilst maximising resident engagement and leaseholder recovery.
You will also have line management of Project Managers and Clerks of Works; whilst maintaining relationships with Resident Liaison Officers and Building/Leasehold Surveyors
- Managing the performance of all direct reports on both a formal and informal basis, including employee engagement, motivation, performance and absence management.
- Lead the team on the scoping, specification design sign-off and procurement of projects ensuring that all organisational and statutory requirements are met.
- Analyse and make recommendations on consultant/contractor design options, feasibility reports and proposals to ensure they meet the project objectives, RBKC’s requirements and demonstrate value for money.
- Lead on ascertaining client requirements and brief consultants accordingly ensuring compliance with all business requirements and performance and quality standards. Ensure an integrated approach to service delivery is maintained in line with overall council and departmental strategy and plans.
- Setting up strategic planning controls covering the full scope of works (up to £35 million for a specific project) for all disciplines including taking full responsibility for the delivery of identified schemes and the operational management of these from inception to final accounts in line with all company and statutory requirements including Financial Standing Orders, Contact Regulations, EU Procurement, Health and Safety. Support and assist the development and implementation of strategies that safeguards the Council against contractual and commercial risk
- Work effectively with a range of stakeholders to establish and lead multi-disciplinary project teams to deliver the project to time and budget. Ensuring the Council is not put at any financial risk, including recharging of leaseholders.
You will be responsible for managing the team to deliver from inception to final account of approximately £50 million per year (over the next 3 years), you will be responsible for reporting/managing the delivery of capital building projects within the Councils capital programme, ensuring effective outcomes, delivery on time, within budget, representing value for money, contribute to the development, delivery, management and monitoring of the organisation’s.
Work up schemes to deliver RBKC’s capital programme maximising resident involvement. Monitor and report on project financials on a monthly basis (or as required); to monitor and report on project programmes slippages, mitigating action and cost profiles ensuring all cost variations are fully reconciled and approval is obtained in accordance with financial rules and department procedures.
Work closely with and regularly collaborate with peers, residents, Resident Associations and senior management to ensure a fully integrated Property approach is achieved and maintained.
Manage a range of internal and external stakeholders in the planning and delivery of capital projects.
Managing the performance of the Project Managers, Assistant Project Manager/Resident Liaison Officer on both a formal and informal basis including employee engagement, motivation, performance and absence management. Delegating and assessing their quality of work.
We work in partnership with Hampshire County Council (HCC) who deliver many transactional services on our behalf. Although most communications will be from HCC, all selection and appointment decisions will be made by RBKC. Certain services are shared across more than one Council area to nearby neighbouring Authorities. This enhances delivery and reduces costs. Your recruitment information will advise if your remit extends beyond RBKC.
We will primarily contact candidates by e-mail throughout the recruitment process, please monitor your email junk / spam folder as our system generated emails may be allocated to these folders by your email settings.
We engage our staff with a variety of learning types including face-to-face and virtual learning because we want to ensure our staff understand our values and behaviours, grow their skills and develop their careers.
RBKC is currently inclusively reviewing its pay, reward and benefits framework.
This post is covered by the Fluency Duty, as outlined in the Code of Practice on the English language requirements for public sector workers.
We are committed to promoting equality and respecting diversity and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are a Disability Confident Employer – committed to ensuring that our recruitment and selection process is inclusive and accessible.