Shareholder & Business Improvement Manager
Redbridge is an ambitious, diverse and exciting east-London borough. What we do is driven by changing our relationship with local people to support our vision. As a result, we've developed innovative ways to build our communities and transform our Council.
We're one of the fastest growing parts of the country and the third most diverse London borough. Our communities are attracted by a mixture of excellent schools, relatively affordable housing, high-quality open space and rapid transport connections into the heart of the City.
This is an exciting time to be working for the London Borough of Redbridge: a new management team are renewing the way we work to create an innovative council and a thriving borough.
The recently formed Communities Directorate is key to our vision for change. Bringing together housing, environment and customer services, we are leading on developing and delivering solutions to some of the boroughs most pressing issues including housing quality and affordability, environmental quality, community safety and how we interact effectively with our customers. We are driving forward a new digital strategy to reshape and transform the way we interact with residents and are responsible for ensuring that the companies Redbridge has created are governed effectively and deliver against our strategy and key priorities.
To enable the delivery of this ambitious agenda we have recently appointed a Head of Business Change and the Shareholder & Business Development Manager will work with them to develop and implement long-lasting change and improvement, and is key towards the successful delivery of our priorities.
We are currently seeking an exceptional individual to fill this important role.
The role will be in the Business Change Team within the Communities Directorate and is responsible for reviewing and improving the arrangements we have in place with our companies to ensure they are enabled to deliver, developing business cases across all of our services to support them to excel, and assisting in putting in place systems and processes that enable us to understand service demand and customer needs, shape our services to meet these identified needs, and monitor delivery against them, both financially and in terms of outcomes for residents and other customers.
In this role, you will be at the heart of change and will develop your existing skills in developing business cases and budgets, project and performance management, and making sure that our external companies really deliver for the people of Redbridge.
About the Role
The main duties of the role will be to ensure the right systems, governance and processes are in place to enable the council’s companies and internal services within the communities’ directorate to be properly aligned with directorate and corporate strategy, to perform to a high-standard, and to meet resident needs.
To do this the you will:
- Review and manage company governance from a shareholder perspective, including:
- Ensuring the company’s governing documents (articles of association and reserved powers) are fit for purpose
- Ensuring the company has the right skill-sets and capacity at board and senior officer level to successfully deliver its business plan
- Overseeing the production and sign off of company business plans from a shareholder perspective, and putting in place systems for their periodic review and updating
- Implementing an effective system of shareholder reporting, by the companies, to give visibility and oversight to the council as shareholder
- Work with finance colleagues to ensure effective financial management systems are used by the companies, and that the council has appropriate oversight of these
- Drive performance management of allocated services to ensure they are able to effectively deliver against their objectives by having systems in place to track spend, demand, service outcomes and other key business drivers.
- Develop business cases for allocated (existing or new) services within the communities’ directorate to contribute towards the directorate’s ability to deliver against its goals and objectives.
For further information about the job role contact: email@example.com
Ambitious for Redbridge