Employment Solicitor - Public Sector
Please note this is a part time position, up to 22.2 hours per week. Working hours will be discussed at interview. The pro rata salary is up to £28,200 per annum.
Essex Legal Services ("ELS") is the in-house legal service for Essex County Council, one of the largest local authorities in the country. ELS also act for external public bodies.
ELS is currently recruiting for an Employment Solicitor to be part of a specialist law team, who will work closely with colleagues to ensure the delivery of a high performing, client facing legal service which proactively embraces change. You will be responsible for the delivery of all aspects of legal advice within your team, where you will be expected to build strong relationships with internal and external partners.
You will be involved in potentially high profile and ground-breaking employment matters and will advise clients on all aspects of employment law issues in demanding circumstances which will at times have far reaching consequences.
As an experienced employment lawyer you will join a team that prides itself on the provision of high quality advice, information, analysis and interpretation service to clients that underpins effective decision making, meaningful performance management and meets statutory requirements. This is a position where the ability to combine employment law with governance knowledge is a pivotal skill greatly valued by the client.
The successful post holder will be responsible for the delivery of all aspects of legal advice within your team, where you will be expected to build strong relationships with internal and external partners. This position will be fast-paced and it is therefore imperative you are confident in handling a full caseload consisting of both contentious and non-contentious employment law matters including, but not limited to, the following matters:
* Discrimination claims
* Unfair dismissal
* Restructures and redundancies
* Trade union provisions
* Pensions experience desirable although not essential.
* Qualified solicitor or barrister or legal executive with full valid practising certificate and 2 + years post qualification experience. We would expect a lawyer with the given PQE to have gained the level of experience required but this does not preclude applications from those with more or less PQE;
* Ability to establish credibility with Directors, senior management and other key stakeholders;
* Knowledge and understanding of providing legal advice in a public sector setting; although previous experience working in the public sector is not essential.
* Ability to handle a full range of employment law matters including attending the Employment Tribunal and Employment Appeal Tribunal;
* Knowledge and understanding of local government provisions is preferable although not essential.
* The ability to provide clear advice on complex matters
* The ability to provide advice and guidance to junior colleagues as required
Qualification certificates should be brought to interview.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.