Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator
Our support services help the whole council work to the best of their ability. They include the Council's Customer Access department, Human Resources, IT, Financial Management, Corporate Property, Audit, Fraud, Risk and Insurance.
We aim for excellence in these services as they will in turn benefit the community we serve.
Looking to broaden your horizons, learn new skills and make a difference? An exciting secondment opportunity has arisen in Corporate HR. (Initially for 6 months – with potential to extend).
We are seeking expressions of interest from those interested in working with our Interim Strategic ED&I Lead, to support delivery of RBKC’s rapidly evolving ED&I agenda (workforce).
This is a development opportunity for the right person. You do not need to have previous HR experience, but evidence of an active interest in ED&I is important. You will need to show a demonstrable commitment to ED&I and a good understanding of the link between workforce ED&I and excellence in service delivery. Lived experience and/or an empathetic understanding of how some groups routinely experience disproportionate adverse outcomes is also important. An ability to ‘see the bigger picture’ and to work collaboratively across organisational boundaries is key.
You will learn whilst on the job and your own personal and career development will be prioritised.
For more information on the role, please see the Job Description
You will be/ have:
- an excellent communicator (verbal and written) with an understanding of effective internal communications principles
- a collaborative working style, with the ability to cross organisational boundaries and engage/ influence others to achieve results
- a creative thinker with and aptitude for problem solving
- used to working at pace and to tight deadlines
- experience of project management principles and approaches
- a data driven (evidence based) approach to planning and delivery
- able to deal appropriately with potentially sensitive (and confidential) issues
- able to operate in a political environment and in relation to a politically charged agenda
Likely duties (not exhaustive) will include:
- Supporting delivery of our ED&I Action Plan (spanning: Leadership; Strategy; Recruitment; Progression; Life balance; employee engagement and Pay and Reward)
- Contributing to delivery of the Race (specific) Implementation Plan
- Contributing to development (and delivery) of a Disability (specific) Implementation Plan
- Facilitating and supporting our Employee Network Groups (current and any new ones) - building partnership work between HR and the Networks
- Supporting delivery of our ED&I Internal Comms Strategy and working with others to design and deliver ED&I related promotional events and activities
- Contributing to development of ED&I related training included targeted development
- Advising on / conducting Equality Impact Assessments (once trained to do so)
- Advising others on ED&I solutions and best practice (along with Strategic ED&I Lead)
- Working collaboratively with HR Business Partners to support work within directorates
- Working collaboratively with key HR teams and wider ED&I stakeholders across RBKC
- Horizon scanning and research - to ensure our work responds quickly to emerging issues
We work in partnership with Hampshire County Council (HCC) who deliver many transactional services on our behalf. Although most communications will be from HCC, all selection and appointment decisions will be made by RBKC. Certain services are shared across more than one Council area to nearby neighbouring Authorities. This enhances delivery and reduces costs. Your recruitment information will advise if your remit extends beyond RBKC.
We will primarily contact candidates by e-mail throughout the recruitment process, please monitor your email junk / spam folder as our system generated emails may be allocated to these folders by your email settings.
We engage our staff with a variety of learning types including face-to-face and virtual learning because we want to ensure our staff understand our values and behaviours, grow their skills and develop their careers.
RBKC is currently inclusively reviewing its pay, reward and benefits framework.
This post is covered by the Fluency Duty, as outlined in the Code of Practice on the English language requirements for public sector workers.
We are committed to promoting equality and respecting diversity and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are a Disability Confident Employer – committed to ensuring that our recruitment and selection process is inclusive and accessible.