Public Protection Group Leader
The functions in Public Protection include: Licensing, Food Safety and Pest Control, Health & Safety and Pollution; you will be the Team Manager for the Licensing Service.
You will develop a strategic approach to deliver a service which promotes jobs and businesses, protects the safety of residents and the public and increases economic resilience in our business and town centres.
You will be a role model and be responsible for the management of a functional team within Public Protection. The specific duties will vary depending on the functional team you manage.
You will develop a commissioning approach for your particular function implementing outcome based activities to meet the needs of residents and businesses in Kirklees.
Your role will require you to prepare and present reports to appropriate decision making structures of the Council including Committees, Cabinet, Scrutiny etc.
You will be responsible for the management and development of staff within the activity. You will carry out performance management, appraisals, recruitment and deal with the health and well-being of staff through attendance management processes and address any areas of concern in accordance with Council procedures.
Requirements for this job:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a public protection related subject and demonstrate ability to produce, prepare, present and understand and interpret technical reports.
- Technical expertise and substantial experience in at least one Public Protection discipline, such as Licensing, Health and Safety, Pollution, Food Safety. For the management of the Food Safety team you must be a suitably qualified and experienced Environmental Health Officer (in accordance with Food Safety Act 1990 Code of Practice).
- Detailed knowledge of court procedures and statutory regulations related to inspection and enforcement of Public Protection functions.
- Expertise in project management, successfully delivering objectives to timescales and in budget.
- Thorough understanding of health and safety, how it relates to Public Protection and the wider Directorate to ensure safe systems of work are in place.
- Ability to produce clear, concise verbal and written reports, undertake public presentations and use a variety of using IT formats to present information.
- Experience of successfully leading and managing multi-disciplinary teams and service performance.
- Strong influencing and stakeholder management skills and the ability to build relationships at a political and senior management level.
- Understanding of wider issues affecting local government, partner organisations, public and private sector agendas relevant to Public Protection.
- Ability to identify, reassess and prioritise resources.
- Understanding of the requirements to ensure fair and transparent dealings with businesses.
- To manage the Licensing function, you accept a DBS check will be required.
- Prepared to work flexible and participate in standby.
01 November 2020, 11:55 PM
This job is subject to an enhanced DBS check. A conviction may not exclude candidates from appointment but will be considered as part of the recruitment process.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable adults and children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.