Senior Travel Plan Officer
A bit about us
We have a fantastic opportunity in Somerset to work in our Travel Plan Team within the Highways Development Management service as a Senior Travel Plan Officer. We are looking for dynamic and enthusiastic people to join our team! Working with the County Council can offer a number of benefits such as flexible working environment.
Our busy team provides highway advice on a variety of planning applications across the county, working with developers to find solutions which unlock new housing and economic development and negotiating legal agreements which secure improvements to our highway and transport networks. We are passionate and committed to transforming our communities by enabling high quality development, which is safe, accessible and sustainable; working to create desirable places for people to live and work as part of Somerset’s ambitious growth plans. From small development sites though to major enterprise zones and extensions to our main towns including Taunton’s new garden communities. Somerset provides fantastic opportunities to become engaged in some of the most ambitious growth projects in the Country whether you are early in your career and seeking to develop your experience, or whether you are an experienced professional
Here's what you can expect to be doing
You would act on behalf of the Highway Authority to provide travel plan activity in relation to a wide range of new development areas (ranging from large urban extensions to numerous medium sized housing developments) as well as providing guidance for planning authorities and developers through to the implementation and monitoring of individual applications, and determine the extent of the Councils direct delivery of travel planning activity on behalf of developers based on secured funding contributions. The range of opportunities is both challenging and rewarding. Somerset provides the opportunity to get involved in some of the UK’s most high-profile growth initiatives including, new garden communities, housing infrastructure fund, enterprise zones, and national infrastructure projects such as Hinkley Point C.
Day to day activity will involve:
- Provide advice and guidance to colleagues, managers as well as to developers on a wide range of travel plan related activity during both pre-application consultation and the planning process.
- Provide support and advice to managers on undertaking travel planning activity on behalf of developers. Ensure that the statutory requirements of the County Council as the Highway Authority are met.
- Ensure appropriate systems are in place to provide effective monitoring and enforcement of travel plan requirements.
- Uphold and promote the aims of the council’s equality, diversity and inclusion policies; health, safety and wellbeing of self and others; and Organisational values in everything you do. Equality and Diversity practice covers both interaction with staff, service users and communities and includes challenging discrimination and promoting equality of opportunity for all.
A few things about you
You will be:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent through relevant professional development.
- Experience of working within the planning system preferably with experience of working with travel plans.
- Ability to monitor performance against deadlines and milestones.
- Ability to prepare observations and communicate them clearly and unambiguously in writing and verbally to a range of audiences.
- Ability to assess the implications of proposals and work with people to develop appropriate solutions (for example agree travel plan documentation and targets with developers).
- Ability to assimilate information from technical reports.
- Ability to read and understand policies, procedures and guidance.
- Provides professional advice in a manner that meets the needs and understanding of different audiences.
- Establishes good working relationships with staff and customers.
- Identifies staff and customer expectations and manages them within agreed boundaries of delivery.
If you would like to find out more about before applying, please get in touch with Jon Fellingham, Service Manager: Highways Development Management, on 07919 540353 or email JFellingham@somerset.gov.uk
All interviews will be taking place virtually over MS Teams.
Closing on 9 November 2020