Multi Trade Operative
This department is responsible for housing, communities and improving the lives of local residents. This includes landlord services and estate management, planning, refurbishment, and advice and support to help maintain healthy and safe homes.
A significant part of our work is focused on creating stronger communities, by working together with local residents on recovery following the Grenfell tragedy.
In response to London’s affordable homes crisis, we are committed to building more social housing to help people on lower incomes to live, work, and raise their families in the borough. Our housing team also work closely with affordable housing providers and other agencies to manage homelessness, and give support to older residents to live independently. Find out more about our vacancies here.
This role is key to the delivery of a professional and highly reactive communal repairs service that our tenants can feel satisfied with.
This role will be required to carry out any repairs and remedy any defects to the council owned housing stock as instructed by Managers and Supervisors. Works will be carried out to the required standard, working to health and safety legislation whilst providing excellent customer service.
Please refer to the Job Description for more information.
As a single/multiskilled tradesperson you will;
- Hold NVQ level 3 or C&G trade qualifications.
- Hold a valid clean driving licence.
- Hold a current valid DBS check or be willing to undertake as required.
You will have experience delivering communal repairs in flatted blocks and exterior grounds; using PDA technology to work to tight schedules and appointments; customer focussed and be clean and presentable at all times. You will demonstrate and uphold the organisation values (These can be found on the RBKC website)
And must be eligible to work in the UK (with proof)
You will be experienced and qualified to carry out multi trade work to a high standard as directed by the Repairs Supervisor including more than one of the following skills:
- Painting and Decorating
- Other areas of Construction Multi-Skill
- Entry level skills in construction to deliver general duties and minor repairs
You will be punctual, able to plan your day to be efficient and work to an appointment booking system, using a mobile handset. With excellent customer care skills, a helpful, can do approach to your work and an eye for detail and quality.
You will also need to be safety conscious and overcome risk with an understanding of how to deliver work safely. You will also be a team player and assist where necessary to achieve team as well as individual objectives.
- Comply with and British Standards, manufacturers requirements, specifications, legislation, policy and procedure.
- Maintain materials to complete works in a single visit.
- Offer an excellent level of customer service - be respectful, positive, polite, on time and listen to the needs of residents.
- Maintain a high level of cleanliness at all times by the use of dust sheets and/or boot covers and leave properties and a clean, compliant and safe condition.
- Complete paperwork after each job promptly and accurately detailing materials used, works carried out and any other repairs required for completion whilst inside the property.
- Maintain stock in depots, stores and van stock at the correct levels. Keep any tools provided in good condition.
- Ensure that vehicles and any other modes of transport are maintained to a high level of cleanliness and any damage/ disrepair is immediately reported to a supervisor or manager.
- Use a PDA to accept jobs, plan our schedule and sign off works when completed for inspection.
We work in partnership with Hampshire County Council (HCC) who deliver many transactional services on our behalf. Although most communications will be from HCC, all selection and appointment decisions will be made by RBKC. Certain services are shared across more than one Council area to nearby neighbouring Authorities. This enhances delivery and reduces costs. Your recruitment information will advise if your remit extends beyond RBKC.
We will primarily contact candidates by e-mail throughout the recruitment process, please monitor your email junk / spam folder as our system generated emails may be allocated to these folders by your email settings.
We engage our staff with a variety of learning types including face-to-face and virtual learning because we want to ensure our staff understand our values and behaviours, grow their skills and develop their careers.
RBKC is currently inclusively reviewing its pay, reward and benefits framework.
This post is covered by the Fluency Duty, as outlined in the Code of Practice on the English language requirements for public sector workers.
We are committed to promoting equality and respecting diversity and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are a Disability Confident Employer – committed to ensuring that our recruitment and selection process is inclusive and accessible.