Business Support Officer
About Barnet Council
Barnet is a borough with much to be proud of. Our excellent schools, vibrant town centres, vast green spaces and diverse communities all help make it a great place to live and work. As a council we want to build on these strengths as we move into the future. We are growing and developing as an organisation to meet the challenges facing our borough, and we are committed to working with partner organisations and residents to make Barnet even better.
As an organisation, our staff are committed to Our Values – We Care, We Can Be Trusted, We Work Together, We Value Diversity, We Embrace Change and Innovation – which drive everything we do.
About the role
This is a new post within our newly created Business Support function within Growth and Corporate Services. You will work with the new Business Support Manager to provide business support to the Deputy Chief Executive and Senior Management Team (SMT), including on projects, policy development and business planning; budget and financial management; and other corporate processes such as procurement, recruitment and audits. You will be expected to have a breadth of knowledge and expertise across a range of subject areas.
We're looking for someone with good interpersonal skills who can establish and maintain effective working relationships across the organisation. You will demonstrate a can-do attitude and an ability to problem solve.
Immediate priorities will include:
- Raising requisitions/purchase orders, goods receipting and processing invoices on behalf of Growth and Corporate Services
- Working with Finance and Commercial colleagues to manage guaranteed income processes, true ups and financial reconciliation across strategic contracts. This will involve identifying any costs that should fall to the council, co-ordinating commercial queries and ensuring payments are made
- Working with the Business Support Manager to support development of the Medium Term Financial Strategy (MTFS) and savings proposals
- Supporting Budget Managers with financial information and processes, including monthly forecasting and ensuring Integra and other financial systems are kept up-to-date.
The new Business Support function is part of the Programmes, Performance and Risk (PPR) team, which sits within Commercial and Customer Services. The PPR team oversees the council’s approach to programmes, performance and risk management; delivers corporate and directorate programmes in support of the council’s key strategic priorities; and provides business support to the Council Management Team (via the Executive Office) and Growth and Corporate Services Senior Management Team (SMT).
What we offer
- 30 days annual leave, plus public and bank holidays
- Work-life balance options may include flexitime and home working
- Generous Local Government Pension Scheme
- Cycle to work scheme and season ticket loan
- Excellent training and development opportunities
- Employee well-being training programmes.
How to apply
Click on the apply button on our website where you will find the job listed. Please read through the job profile and complete the online application form. CVs will not be accepted. If you would like any further information about the role before applying please contact Chris Lloyd, Business Support Manager on 0208 359 4215 or email@example.com
If shortlisted you will be required to bring photographic ID to your interview to prove your identity.