Please note, this position is to be offered on a 12-month fixed term basis.
As a result of the Covid-19 pandemic we have multiple opportunities available to support and help shape our response across functional areas of the Council.
The Programme Manager is accountable for leading a defined programme or set of projects and the associated business change activities which make a significant contribution to the delivery of the Council's Strategic aims and management of financial pressures.
This leader will build compelling business cases to drive change, establishing appropriate programme governance and assurance, monitoring progress, managing risks and issues and ensuring business can accommodate the change. Supporting the Portfolio Manager in leading, assuring and delivering a portfolio of work in support of one of the four Strategic Aims of the Council.
An experienced and exemplary leader, with professional credibility gained from working within a programme management environment, this role will be influential in delivering change that supports best practice and the delivery of the Council's strategic objectives.
* Works collaboratively with service areas and partners supporting the development of compelling business cases.
* Builds effective stakeholder and partner relationships at senior level, which are influential and elicit support at senior level.
* Accountable for leading teams of people, to build professionalism and expertise through development activities.
* Accountable for developing and delivering a resourcing plan, including management of programme budget, for complex & large scale programmes to ensure delivery of outcomes.
* Responsible for overseeing risk and issue management, ensures mitigations are in place to address issues between elements of the programme, resolving these through negotiated agreement or escalating.
* Works collaboratively with customers to agree quantified realisable benefits and metrics to monitor impact. Designing and actively managing the programme plan, ensuring outcomes are achieved.
* Accountable for maintaining the overall integrity and coherence of programme & governance framework to support each project. Plan programme assurance activities and manage dependencies within the programme and across other activities in the portfolio.
* Responsible for cascading the programme vision and translating these into delivery objectives which support the Strategic Aims of the Council. Lead the programme to deliver the business case benefits and outcomes.
* Responsible for providing technical leadership in both line and matrix management styles, to ensure successful delivery of programmes and for supporting the Portfolio Manager in leading, assuring and delivering the portfolio of work which delivers against the Strategic Aims of the Council.
* Specific targets & objectives defined annually within the performance management framework.
* Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area, accredited to the level of APM Practitioner or MSP Practitioner.
* Evidence of successfully implementing major change initiatives within a range of large organisations.
* Experience of working closely with Members and senior leaders and managers to overcome resistance to change. * Ideally experience of working within a political environment with detailed knowledge of a public sector setting & the nuances involved in being part of a complex environment.
* Experience of working with complex multi-agency partnerships and stakeholder groups.
* Exemplary leadership capability evidenced in creating a high performance culture, drawing on specialist skills and expertise effectively, bringing together diverse capabilities.
* Evidence of creativity in exploring innovative business opportunities which maximise opportunities for development of a financially sustainable service.
Apply and next steps
Please apply via the Working for Essex website, ensuring you upload an up to date CV and / or supporting statement when prompted. In order for us to gauge suitability and fit please include your salary aspirations for this role on your application.
This position will initially, in line with current government guidance be based from home, with an expectation of being home based for the foreseeable future. However, if / when government guidelines change the role may then revert to being office based, whilst retaining some flexible working options.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on the benefits page of the Working for Essex website.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.