Strategic Development Officer
As the Strategic Development Officer, you will contribute to the delivery of the Council's Highways and Transportation strategic development, producing a first class service for customers. You will secure and co-ordinate the provision of privately funded infrastructure, to meet the challenges of delivering the Local Planning Authority's targets for housing and employment in Essex, assess new minor development proposals, negotiating and obtaining funding for new infrastructure, and delivering the highest quality public space.
* Contributes to delivery of major projects and re-generation initiatives within the relevant districts to achieve sustainable development and re-generation enhancing travel opportunities. Supports Districts with transportation issues advice and other related services.
* Contributes to quantifying, evaluating and formulating responses to statutory consultations and pre-application enquiries in respect of planning proposals and associated applications, ensuring subsequent approvals accord with Government and ECC Strategic Development (SD) Policies.
* Promotion of policies and measures which increase the use of cycling, public transport, walking and other alternatives to the private car,
* Responsible for preparing and issuing background information, including accident and traffic flow data, presenting this at Public Inquiries and Hearings, giving evidence where necessary.
* Provides advice on transportation matters and policies across the Council and to the public, attending various committee meetings.
* Provides technical advice to the S106 team to inform design briefs to Essex Highways for the design and delivery of schemes.
* Contributes to the management of external consultants, when carrying assessments of transportation studies.
* Contributes to instructing Essex Legal Services on S278 and S106 agreements for highway works/contributions necessary in conjunction with development.
* Possesses a relevant qualification and/or degree in a related subject or equivalent proven experience in the field of Development Management.
* Evidence of continuing professional development, and knowledge in relevant professional area.
* Associate membership of one of the following; Chartered Institute of Highways and Transportation, Institute of Highway Engineers, Royal Town Planning Institute, or other appropriate professional body.
* Experience gained working in a transportation environment, dealing with major development proposals.
* Knowledge of transport planning policy and practice, development plan system and planning legislation.
* Excellent communication skills with the ability to build strong working relationships which are collaborative and engender delivery.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.