Project Manager (Mechanical and Electrical)
This department is responsible for housing, communities and improving the lives of local residents. This includes landlord services and estate management, planning, refurbishment, and advice and support to help maintain healthy and safe homes.
A significant part of our work is focused on creating stronger communities, by working together with local residents on recovery following the Grenfell tragedy.
In response to London’s affordable homes crisis, we are committed to building more social housing to help people on lower incomes to live, work, and raise their families in the borough. Our housing team also work closely with affordable housing providers and other agencies to manage homelessness and give support to older residents to live independently.
RBKC has a substantial programme of major works projects across its housing stock. We have an approved programme of £270m over seven years. These projects have a significant impact in improving homes and estates for the Council’s residents and wider community. You will be responsible for leading several projects across a range of schemes including new homes from roof top developments, internal and external major works, etc. You will be responsible for delivering improvements to hundreds of residents.
You will manage a portfolio of individual contracts and call off projects for the M&E works programmes. You will have responsibility from inception to final account of approximately between £5 - £15 million per year. Your role will be to ensure the successful delivery of major works of various projects to the required quality, on time and budget
The person will manage an Assistant Project Manager and work with Resident Liaison Officers to develop communication plans to assist in delivering complex large-scale projects. You will be dealing with various internal and external stakeholders for example; Residents, Consultants, Contractors, Resident Liaison officers, Resident Associations, Councillors, Colleagues in Housing Management and across the Property Services team.
For more information on the role, please see the Job Description
We are looking for an enthusiastic, highly motivated individual to fill the post of Project Manager for the Capital Delivery – M&E Team.
To succeed in this role, you will be an experienced housing project manager able to manage and motivate colleagues. Your ability to communicate with consultants, contractors and residents will be a key to successful delivery of projects. You will have an excellent understanding of social housing asset management and the need to maintain this in the interests of residents and the Council as landlord.
You will work closely and professionally with both internal and external organisations and possess an excellent understanding of the interface between the Capital Delivery team and housing Management, responsive repairs and leaseholder services teams. You will need to demonstrate a high standard of customer service.
You will need to demonstrate significant experience of housing major works projects, preferably within a local authority or housing association.
You will have relevant professional qualification (Mechanically or Electrically)/ qualification in Project Management (e.g. APM or equivalent) or qualified by experience.
- Report on project cost at pre-tender and tender stages; to monitor and report on project programmes and cost profiles during the construction phase ensuring all cost variations are fully reconciled and approval is obtained in accordance with financial rules and department procedures.
- Managing final account discussions, dealing with snagging and defects issues, issuing end of defect certification and any other duties that may be necessary to ensure the smooth and complete delivery of several projects simultaneously.
- Work closely with and regularly collaborate with peers, residents, Resident associations and senior management to ensure a fully integrated Property approach is achieved and maintained.
- Manage a range of internal and external stakeholders in the planning and delivery of capital projects.
- Experience of working with tenants and leaseholders to agree work scopes and supporting data to enable leasehold consultation to take place
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with a range of people
- Manage the performance of the Assistant Project Manager/Resident liaison officer on both a formal and informal basis including employee engagement, motivation, performance and absence management. Delegating and assessing their quality of work.
We work in partnership with Hampshire County Council (HCC) who deliver many transactional services on our behalf. Although most communications will be from HCC, all selection and appointment decisions will be made by RBKC. Certain services are shared across more than one Council area to nearby neighbouring Authorities. This enhances delivery and reduces costs. Your recruitment information will advise if your remit extends beyond RBKC.
We will primarily contact candidates by e-mail throughout the recruitment process, please monitor your email junk / spam folder as our system generated emails may be allocated to these folders by your email settings.
We engage our staff with a variety of learning types including face-to-face and virtual learning because we want to ensure our staff understand our values and behaviours, grow their skills and develop their careers.
RBKC is currently inclusively reviewing its pay, reward and benefits framework.
This post is covered by the Fluency Duty, as outlined in the Code of Practice on the English language requirements for public sector workers.
We are committed to promoting equality and respecting diversity and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are a Disability Confident Employer – committed to ensuring that our recruitment and selection process is inclusive and accessible.