Senior Infrastructure Design Engineer
apT Senior Infrastructure Design Engineer
£35,745 - £38,890 per annum
Scale P06 37 hrs per week
Are you looking for a challenge, and a diverse range of work? Do you want to work in an innovative, positive team that shapes and develops the places we live and work in?
If so apT want to hear from you.
Working in our highly innovative and motivated Highways Development Management Team, our Senior Infrastructure Design Engineer will be responsible for providing infrastructure designs with a strong emphasis on drainage. Producing flood risk assessments along with supporting the statutory technical approval process. Due to an increased client portfolio we are seeking an experienced and motivated Senior Engineer to enhance are drainage and design capabilities to grow our business even further over the next few years.
apT Development Consultancy is part of Telford & Wrekin Council. We deliver planning services from a team which includes Highways Development Management, Ecology, Conservation, Healthy Spaces and Building Control. We deliver holistic and innovative solutions to all our customers.
We are also visionaries in our field. apT are the Midlands’ first public sector commercial planning, development and environmental consultancy who support developments through the regulation process, from the promotion of land to achieving consents, through to their safe completion on behalf of clients across the region including Shropshire, Cheshire and the wider Midlands.
You will be based in Telford - a destination of vibrant places and experiences where people love to live, work and play. Sitting in the heart of Shropshire, Telford is the gateway between the Midlands and Wales. Rich in heritage and natural beauty, the borough has a vibrant town centre that’s currently expanding and a 450 acre town park with numerous leisure facilities;
This New Town celebrated its 50th birthday in 2018, and continues to grow from the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution and one of the UK’s first World Heritage Sites to now delivering more than 76 hectares of employment and circa 17,000 new homes up until 2031, as part of the newly adopted Telford & Wrekin Local Plan.
Being part of apT ensures you will be play a part in the development and creation of creative and positive places for those who live and work in Telford, building a safe and sustainable environment for future generations to enjoy.
Working alongside our Infrastructure Design Engineer, the post holder will assist in the preparation of detailed design drawings both internally as well as for external clients. You will also be responsible for building relationships with partners and clients to ensure apT holds its reputation of a forward thinking local authority Highway Design Service.
The post holder will operate under the overall guidance of the Principal Infrastructure Engineer but as this is a senior position the post holder will be responsible for prioritising their own and the Highway Development Management Delivery Teams workload, only relying on direct guidance from the Development Team Manger or Principal Infrastructure Engineer on sensitive or problematic areas.
The range of tasks and responsibilities carried out by the post holder will vary from time to time reflecting the work programme to be carried out in connection with the Council’s statutory duties relating to Planning and the overall objectives of the Development Management Service Area.
You will be expected to:
- Work with Neighbourhood & Customer Services to maximise opportunities from development and ensure that infrastructure delivery is aligned with the Council’s key highway strategies and related priorities as appropriate.
- Prepare briefs and commission work from consultants and other Council teams as appropriate.
- Assist in the detailed technical assessment of development related highway works proposed for agreement under S.38 and S.278 of the Highways Act and use professional judgement and other resources as appropriate to review, audit and approve designs by third parties for making alterations or additions to the borough’s highway network.
- Supervise two Highways Assistant Engineers
- Work with and supervise, mentor and develop other junior members of staff including students and work experience placements.
- A degree in Civil Engineering (or related subject) with significant relevant experience.
- Membership of a professional body (such as the Chartered Institute of Civil Engineers or similar)
- Significant experience of working with Architects, Planners, Building Control Officers and Engineers.
- Significant experience in the design and supervision of complex engineering schemes including the production and administration of contract documentation.
- Significant experience in the operation of computer software.
- Experience of dealing with customers and Councillors in a local authority or other regulatory environment.
- Substantial knowledge of civil engineering principles relating to highway matters.
- Significant knowledge of Contract Documents Preparation and tendering procedures is desirable.
- Significant knowledge of highway engineering design practice using appropriate software.
- Significant knowledge of Health and Safety regulations relating to the construction industry, notably CDM.
- Knowledge of the production of engineering drawings using AutoCAD.
- Knowledge of financial monitoring of projects. Knowledge of traffic management requirements when working within a public highway, including Streetworks responsibilities for design engineers.
For further information please contact Nicholas McGurk on 01952 384555 or Nicholas.mcGurk@apt-group.co.uk