Digital and Smart Cities Lead Officer
Digital and Smart Cities Lead Officer
About Barnet Council
Barnet is a borough with much to be proud of. Our excellent schools, vibrant town centres, vast green spaces and diverse communities all help make it a great place to live and work. As a council we want to build on these strengths as we move into the future. We are growing and developing as an organisation to meet the challenges facing our borough, and we are committed to working with partner organisations and residents to make Barnet even better.
As an organisation, our staff are committed to Our Values – We Care, We Can Be Trusted, We Work Together, We Value Diversity, We Embrace Change and Innovation – which drive everything we do.
About Directorate and Development Directorate
We are shaping Barnet as a place to Live, Work, Study and Visit. Through Barnet’s Growth Strategy we are delivering the housing, connectivity, support for businesses and town centres, and social infrastructure needed to sustain and improve local communities. Our Planning, Housing, Regeneration, Economic Development, and Estates services are a community of talented people solving the real-world problems and challenges that need to be addressed to deliver change and improve lives. We are delivering this through many strategic partnerships that collectively form one of the largest development programmes in England.
About the role
The Digital and Smart Cities role is a great opportunity to lead the delivery of Barnet’s digital infrastructure programme, to achieve the council’s priorities in relation to regeneration, growth and place.
- Steer the Council through the decision-making and business processes necessary to unlock a multi-million-pound investment programme to deliver fibre broadband to 14,000 Barnet Council properties
- Track commissioned project actions against targets, take ownership and management of project monitoring to ensure the commissioned objectives are met; take follow up or remedial actions if required.
- Providing support to a cross-council and third sector digital inclusion services and programmes; with responsibility for monitoring and reporting on impacts and outcomes, alongside shaping and defining new programmes to address needs.
- Develop an approach to commercialise digital assets and infrastructure in the borough that supports the delivery of effective local public services and leads to new partnerships with business and community groups.
The Digital and Smart Cities Officer role is a great opportunity for you to apply your project, programme management and administration skills in the area of digital communications and smart technologies.
- Willingness to learn and develop an understanding of technology and the role that local authorities can play in unlocking the potential to improved services and drive innovation.
- Expertise in digital communications and smart city technologies is desirable but not essential, willingness and capacity to learn is the essential requirement.
- Demonstrable experience in administration, project and programme delivery.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent by experience.
- Awareness of the planning and political context of London including experience of Economic Development, Planning, Regeneration, Place-Making and design quality management.
- The ability to develop networks across the public, private and voluntary sectors and to work effectively with stakeholders and residents in local communities across Barnet.
- Knowledge and understanding of the statutory, regulatory, policy, strategic and service delivery framework in which local government operates.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Highly developed IT, problem solving and analytical skills.
What we offer
- 30 days annual leave, plus public and bank holidays
- Work-life balance options may include flexitime, job share, home working, part-time
- Generous Local Government Pension Scheme
- Cycle to work scheme and season ticket loan
- Excellent training and development opportunities
- Employee well- being training programs
How to apply
Click on the apply button and on our website where you will find the job listed. Please read through job description and person specification and complete the online application form. If you would like any further information about the role before applying, please contact Adam Driscoll, Commissioning Lead, Growth, email@example.com.
If shortlisted you will be required to bring photographic ID to your interview to prove your identity.