Greenspaces & Leisure Project Officer (2 Year Fixed Term Contract)
About Barnet Council
Barnet is a borough with much to be proud of. Our excellent schools, vibrant town centres, vast green spaces and diverse communities all help make it a great place to live and work. As a council we want to build on these strengths as we move into the future. We are growing and developing as an organisation to meet the challenges facing our borough, and we are committed to working with partner organisations and residents to make Barnet even better.
As an organisation, our staff are committed to Our Values – We Care, We Can Be Trusted, We Work Together, We Value Diversity, We Embrace Change and Innovation – which drive everything we do.
About the Environment Directorate
The Environment Directorate contains Street Scene, Transport & Highways and Greenspaces & Leisure, and is responsible for delivering many of those services that residents rely upon daily.
The Greenspaces & Leisure service manages and improves:
- Sports & Leisure facilities
- Trees & Woodlands
- Events & Promotions
- Cemeteries & Crematoriums
The Council is ambitious that Barnet’s greenspaces should be amongst the best in London, recognising the significant economic, social and environmental benefits that they bring.
About the role
The Council has an ambitious and exciting programme focused on Greenspaces and Leisure and the Project Officer will have the opportunity to support in driving a programme of improvement in accordance with the delivery of Barnet’s Parks and Open Spaces Strategy and the Fit & Active Barnet Framework. This is a unique opportunity to help shape, establish and contribute towards the service vision.
- The Greenspaces and Leisure Project Officer will be involved in the development and implementation of a strategic programme centred on increased participation, improved health and wellbeing and resident engagement whilst working to establish a viable and sustainable long-term position for the portfolio.
- Will be responsible for supporting the successful delivery of the Greenspaces & Leisure Investment Programme which is underpinned by the Parks & Open Spaces Strategy (POSS), Playing Pitch (PPS) Strategies, Fit & Active Barnet (FAB) Framework and Indoor Sport and Recreation Study.
- Have responsibility for leading the day to day management of the MTFS Programme and defined Projects, ensuring that they deliver to time, cost and quality and are managed in line with the Barnet Project Management methodology.
- Strong knowledge and experience of programme and project management and change management tools, techniques and methodologies and experience translating it into practice
- Proven track record of delivering complex change projects ideally within a public-sector environment.
- Holds a recognised Project Management qualification and/or able to demonstrate significant experience, competence and capability in the delivery of schemes and programmes; (PRINCE2, Agile or similar).
- Experience of working effectively with stakeholders to design and deliver an effective, efficient and sustainable Business Cases.
- Self-motivated, with a keen eye for detail, and able to manage a varied workload and tight deadlines.
- Good Microsoft office and financial management skills
- Good communication, analytical and decision-making skills
What we offer
- 30 days annual leave, plus public and bank holidays
- Work-life balance options may include flexitime, job share, home working, part-time
- Generous Local Government Pension Scheme
- Cycle to work scheme and season ticket loan
- Excellent training and development opportunities
- Employee well- being training programs
Please note due to covid-19 circumstances at present the role is mostly remote from home but there may be a requirement to attend the office to undertake some work duties.
How to apply
Click on the apply button and on our website where you will find the job listed. Please read through job description and person specification and complete the online application form. If you would like any further information about the role before applying, please contact Aidan Hunt (email@example.com).
If shortlisted you will be required to bring photographic ID to your interview to prove your identity.