About Barnet Council
Barnet is a borough with much to be proud of. Our excellent schools, vibrant town centres, vast green spaces and diverse communities all help make it a great place to live and work. As a council we want to build on these strengths as we move into the future. We are growing and developing as an organisation to meet the challenges facing our borough, and we are committed to working with partner organisations and residents to make Barnet even better.
As an organisation, our staff are committed to Our Values – We Care, We Can Be Trusted, We Work Together, We Value Diversity, We Embrace Change and Innovation – which drive everything we do.
Growth and Corporate Services is a busy and diverse directorate sitting at the heart of the council with responsibilities ranging from large scale regeneration and housing to customer services and corporate reporting and risk management. The Strategy, Communications and Engagement team works with colleagues across the organisation to support the delivery of our priorities and shape the council’s future direction – particularly in responding to the coronavirus pandemic. The last 12 months have been a particularly challenging time for our community and much of the work the Strategy, Communications and Engagement team is currently doing is central to developing the council’s long-term response. Delivering in partnership with other agencies across sectors is a major part of this, and the role will work closely with colleagues in community engagement to ensure that residents and other stakeholders are properly involved in developing council strategy.
About the role
We’re looking for two exceptional candidates, with a self-starting, can-do attitude. The Strategy Managers will play a central role in supporting the implementation of the council’s emerging corporate plan and particularly the development of a more place-based approach to complex problem solving. Strategy managers can expect to lead a portfolio of work, and support senior leaders in the Council Management Team to take forward other key strategic initiatives and corporate policies.
The Strategy Manager will enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and be able to work on multiple projects concurrently.
- Educated to degree level, or equivalent by experience
- Considerable experience in a role leading the development of high-profile cross cutting policy and corporate strategy
- Excellent project management skills and experience of leading complex projects and programmes
- Ability to prepare reports and presentation and analyse and interpret complex information quickly
- Ability to work autonomously, lead on projects and manage a complex workload
- Excellent stakeholder management skills and ability to challenge, support, influence and engage senior management and stakeholders in a professional manner.
What we offer
- 30 days annual leave, plus public and bank holidays
- Work-life balance options may include flexitime, job share, home working, part-time
- Generous Local Government Pension Scheme
- Cycle to work scheme and season ticket loan
- Excellent training and development opportunities
- Employee well- being training programs
Please note due to COVD-19 circumstances at present the role is mostly remote from home but there may be a requirement to attend the office to undertake some work duties.
How to apply
Click on the apply button and on our website where you will find the job listed. Please read through job description and person specification and complete the online application form. If you would like any further information about the role before applying, please contact William Cooper, Community Engagement and Strategy Lead, William.Cooper@Barnet.gov.uk
If shortlisted you will be required to bring photographic ID to your interview to prove your identity.