About Barnet Council
Barnet is a borough with much to be proud of. Our excellent schools, vibrant town centres, vast green spaces and diverse communities all help make it a great place to live and work. As a council we want to build on these strengths as we move into the future. We are growing and developing as an organisation to meet the challenges facing our borough, and we are committed to working with partner organisations and residents to make Barnet even better.
As an organisation, our staff are committed to Our Values – We Care, We Can Be Trusted, We Work Together, We Value Diversity, We Embrace Change and Innovation – which drive everything we do.
Growth and Corporate Services is a busy and diverse directorate sitting at the heart of the council with responsibilities ranging from large scale regeneration and housing to customer services and corporate reporting and risk management. The Strategy, Communications and Engagement team works with colleagues across the organisation to support the delivery of our priorities and shape the council’s future direction – particularly in responding to the coronavirus pandemic. The last 12 months have been a particularly challenging time for our community and much of the work the Strategy, Communications and Engagement team is currently doing is central to developing the council’s long-term response. Delivering in partnership with other agencies across sectors is a major part of this, and the role will work closely with colleagues in community engagement to ensure that residents and other stakeholders are properly involved in developing council strategy.
About the role
An exciting opportunity for a Strategy Officer to support the Strategy Managers in delivering high-profile corporate projects and the development and implementation of cross-cutting corporate policy.
- Work on high-profile projects and policy development and take forward key outputs and objectives from corporate strategy projects as required
- Support a diverse range of projects, working closely with service area leads across the council to support the development of plans, strategies and policy documents.
- Responsibility for performance management within the Strategy team, monitoring KPIs in the corporate performance plan, updating risk registers and providing reports to appropriate audiences.
- Undertake research and provide policy briefings across a broad range of subject matter affecting local government
The Strategy Officer will enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and be able to work on multiple projects concurrently.
- Educated to degree level, or equivalent experience
- Strong project management skills and experience
- Experience of working on development of cross-cutting policy and corporate strategy
- Experience of monitoring performance and evaluating outcomes
- Ability to analyse and interpret information and translate into practical actions
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work under own initiative and excellent problem-solving skills.
What we offer
- 30 days annual leave, plus public and bank holidays
- Work-life balance options may include flexitime, job share, home working, part-time
- Generous Local Government Pension Scheme
- Cycle to work scheme and season ticket loan
- Excellent training and development opportunities
- Employee well- being training programs
Please note due to covid circumstances at present the role is mostly remote from home but there may be a requirement to attend the office to undertake some work duties.
How to apply
Click on the apply button and on our website where you will find the job listed. Please read through job description and person specification and complete the online application form. If you would like any further information about the role before applying, please contact William Cooper, Community Engagement & Strategy Lead, William.Cooper@Barnet.gov.uk
If shortlisted you will be required to bring photographic ID to your interview to prove your identity.