Senior Product Manager
Senior Product Manager
Fixed Term, 12 months (secondments from other local authorities and civil service departments will be considered)
Full Time, flexible working will be considered
Up to £62,858 per annum
Location: Chelmsford (remote initially*)
*This position will initially, in line with current government guidance be based from home, with an expectation of being home based for the foreseeable future. However, if / when government guidelines change the role may then revert to being office based, whilst retaining some flexible working options.
These are unprecedented times. Essex County Council are looking for exceptional people who want to apply their digital skills to important work supporting the needs of Essex residents and businesses and to help in the county's recovery.
Are you a skilled and experienced Product Manager leading a multidisciplinary team, supporting, and continuously improving products of significant scale and complexity? If you have worked on moving a product to an open-source platform then your skills and experience are what we are looking for.
This is a unique opportunity to join an exceptional, high-performing team.
What you'll do
- work on essex.gov.uk as the product manager
- lead the discovery, alpha and beta work on the replacement of essex.gov.uk with a new open-source solution, in collaboration with the supplier to be procured
- lead discussions across the organisation to make sure the right products are built/procured in the right way
- devise and iterate the product vision, roadmap and backlog
- be a champion for user needs,
- document product knowledge, communicate plans and progress through various channels including the blog, stakeholder meetings and demos
- plan and manage different phases of the product delivery lifecycle
- work closely with user research, design, service design, content design, and development to build fit-for-purpose products
- build and maintain stakeholder relationships to ensure investment decisions are taken with a product thinking view
- set high standards to make sure products meet user needs, consider future changes in technology and can operate at scale (including the Government Service Standard, accessibility regulations and Information governance principles)
- work closely with Technology Services to understand technical constraints and the existing IT estate
Agile and user focus (relevant skill level: expert)
- coach and lead teams in Agile practices and provide direction on which tools or methods to use
- apply strategic thinking in how to provide the best service for the end user
- act as a recognised expert and advocate for the approaches, continuously reflecting and challenging the team
DDaT perspective (relevant skill level: practitioner)
- demonstrate understanding of design, technology and data principles
- identify and implement solutions for assisted digital
- work with open-source technologies and different CMS
- work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary team
Experience of working within constraints (relevant skill level: practitioner)
- work with and challenge senior stakeholders
- prioritise and mitigate constraints and turn them into an advantage
- adapt the approach depending on the constraints
Life-cycle perspective (relevant skill level: expert)
- successfully lead teams through the full product life cycle.
- identify which tools and techniques should be used at each stage
- develop sustainable support models
- identify and deal with potential risks across or between all stages of the product life cycle
Problem ownership (relevant skill level: expert)
- anticipate problems and how to defend against them
- understand how problems fit into the larger picture, explain the problem and help others to do so
- build problem-solving capabilities in others
Product ownership (relevant skill level: expert)
- understand what is most important and applicable
- get buy-in from the organisation
- develop a strategy
To apply, please submit a CV and cover letter.
Your application cannot be considered without a cover letter explaining how you meet each of the six competencies listed under "Your Skills". Your cover letter should demonstrate your experience of each of the six competencies listed under "Your Skills". Please use examples from your professional life and tell us what the situation was, what you did and what the result was.
We are planning to hold interviews on 23rd and 24th February 2021
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.