Internal Communications Advisor
Internal Communications Advisor
Fixed Term, Full Time
Up to £36,057 per annum
Closing Date: 3rd February 2021
***Please note this a fixed term contract until March 2022***
The Communications & Marketing department are a key function within the council, and play a central role in informing, changing behaviours, protecting reputation amongst all key audiences - internally and externally. In the COVID world the role of councils in supporting communities through clear communications and marketing activities has never been more important. The department is structured with small teams of professionals aligned to key communications and marketing disciplines, ensuring we have expert in house knowledge to not only deliver best in class communications activity and campaigns, but also to provide consultancy support to colleagues across the organisation.
This role will contribute to delivering and implementing the over-arching internal communications strategy. The Internal Communications Advisor will bring an innovative, creative approach to their work.
The role recognises the importance and impact of effective internal communications and an understanding of the complexity of a large public sector organisation and how different channels and communication styles can be used to deliver optimum engagement.
The role requires an adaptable individual, who is adept at working in a fast-moving and customer-first environment that relies on real-time communications, welcomes change and has a growth mindset.
- Responsible for implementing the internal communications strategy to ensure internal stakeholders are informed of organisational news, issues and direction and have mechanisms for providing feedback.
- Plan, edit and write content for corporate internal communication channels and be responsible for their day-to-day management.
- Support, in a consultative capacity, the wider Council to communicate as appropriate with employees at a functional level.
- Responsible for keeping employees informed, motivated and inspired about the Council's vision to put the needs of Essex residents at the heart of all they do.
- Provide mentoring at all levels of the Council on best practice internal communications wherever this activity is devolved; ensuring communications are consistent in terms of tone of voice and messaging.
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent by experience.
- Evidence of continuing professional development with knowledge in relevant professional area.
- Experience of internal communications in a large public sector organisation.
- Understanding the importance of measuring employee engagement.
- General understanding of digital and non-digital marketing channels.
- Evidence of good people skills (experience in mentoring or consulting).
- Experience of multidisciplinary and cross-functional working (preferred).
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefitsIf you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Resourcing Team on 0333 013 5888.