This position will primarily, in line with current government guidance be based from home, with an expectation of being home based for the foreseeable future. There is a requirement to perform on-site visits to at least 2 Recycling Centres for Household Waste and 2 Waste Transfer Stations in Essex, as part of the initial capture of technology in place at the sites.
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, and we have just embarked on an ambitious transformation programme in assuming responsibility for operating Recycling Centres for Household Waste and Waste Transfer Stations directly, through bringing services back in-house for direct delivery by ECC, commencing 1st April 2022.
Technology is a key factor to allow ECC to treat and dispose of all Local Authority Collected Waste. We are seeking an experienced Business Analyst to join the programme in delivering this exciting work in maximising our current capability and shaping our future requirements. Along with great technical skills and an eye for innovation, you'll have a passion for public service and excellent people and stakeholder management skills.
You will work across the breadth of the technology workstream of the programme, focussed on understanding the technical setup in place at the Recycling Centres for Household Waste and Waste Transfer Stations. This includes hardware, software, telephony, data, site connectivity and user system access; defining the provision through ECC Technology Services and identifying technology systems requiring procurement and support.
You shall be going into the business and engaging directly with senior business stakeholders and subject matter experts to understand workflow, 'pain points' and to translate opportunities into requirements.
- Develop and own the business analysis plan
- Work with SME stakeholders to drive the research and gather business, technical and data requirements
- Employ a range of tools and techniques to map 'As-Is' and To-Be' business processes
- Facilitate workshops with user groups to analyse requirements, and ensure those needs are captured and fed into the design process
- Evaluate and understand the potential consequences, strengths and weaknesses of any changes through effective impact and benefit analysis
- Adhere to and support existing change control processes within the current system
- Facilitate data quality management activity by ensuring system inputs and outputs meet requirements, any data migration is mapped out and effectively planned as part of the overall solution
- Produce or assist in producing frameworks, operating models, functional and non-functional specifications, feature/user stories and user acceptance testing scenarios in line with defined to-be processes and system configuration
- Produce and/or present regular reports on the status of business
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent by experience
- Should hold relevant professional qualifications as a business analyst practitioner
- Significant experience supporting IT transformation projects in large and complex organisations
- Clear understanding and capability to work within relevant ICT related standards including ITIL V3, ISO/IEC 38500, ISO/IEC 27001, ISO/IEC 22301, ISO/IEC 20000, PRINCE2 and MSP.
- Proven experience analysing business processes and defining, documenting and delivering To Be capability
- Experience analysing business and technical data and information and presenting insights as "actionable intelligence"
- Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area
- Awareness of working in a political environment
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Please note that Essex County Council has determined that the off-payroll working rules will not apply to this assignment and where a worker elects to provide their services through an intermediary (such as a personal services company) then income tax and primary national insurance contributions will not be deducted at source from any payments made to the intermediary.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
If you have any questions about the role, or working with us, please contact our Resourcing Team on 0333 013 5888.