Operational Manager (Waste)
Operational Manager (Waste)
Permanent, Full Time
up to £43,299.00 per annum
Closing date: 28 Feb 2021
This position will initially, in line with current government guidance, be based from home for the foreseeable future. However, if / when government guidelines change the role may then revert to being office based, whilst retaining some flexible working options.
Essex County Council is committed to ensuring the county is a place where residents can flourish, and communities are supported to be more resilient, where we minimise our collective environmental impact, and where strong partnerships are secured to deliver benefits.
With your knowledge of the waste management industry and front-line operations you will manage contracts for disposal, reprocessing and recycling centres, as well as coordinating projects to ensure the effective and efficient delivery of the statutory functions of the Waste Disposal Authority.
You will have the ability to influence contractors and to operate flexibly in a matrix management style across the Council and with partners.
· Operational management of waste treatment, reprocessing, disposal and transfer arrangements to meet statutory obligations.
· Support the existing operations team with the implementation of the new Integrated Waste Handling arrangements.
· Review and development of existing and future waste management infrastructure, including operational efficiencies and innovation.
· Partnership working with Contractors, the Waste Collection Authorities and other stakeholders to ensure services are effectively and safely managed.
· Assist in developing future waste management services and strategies.
· Lead on the mobilisation of new contracts and advise procurement on new requirements for the service.
· Identify good practice in the waste management industry and adopt new ideas to improve service delivery.
· Managing and co-ordinating specific work projects and reporting progress, both written and verbal, to senior officers and Members.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Educated to degree-level or equivalent qualification in Waste Management or a related subject with evidence of continuing professional development in a relevant professional area, such as Certificate of Technical Competence.
You will bring with you a thorough and practical understanding of local authority waste management services and responsibilities and a good working knowledge of legislation relevant to the role.
Proven ability to manage high value contracts and the mobilisation of key front-line services, such as transfer stations and recycling centres.
Good communication skills and experience in resolving operations problems to the satisfaction of all stakeholders is essential.
Above all, you will have knowledge and passion for the waste industry, developing and delivering front line services ensuring value for money and minimising risk.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.