Essex Legal Services (ELS) is the in-house legal service of ECC, one of the largest local authorities in the country. Its innovative vision has led to ELS being at the forefront of developing shared legal services and sharing its expertise and experience with a wide range of public bodies.
Our Service has a wide ranging client base and is committed to increasing and expanding our range of services. We have been accredited to the Lexcel standard for over a decade and work continuously to improve not only the service that we offer to our clients but also the opportunities we offer to those who work for us.
You will be responsible for the delivery of all aspects of legal advice within your team, where you will be expected to build strong relationships with internal and external partners. This position will be fast-paced and it is therefore imperative you are confident in handling a full caseload consisting of, but not limited to, the following matters:
- General property advice
- Property Development
- Easements and Licences
- Option and Promotion Agreements
- Commercial leases
- Acquisition and sale of commercial and residential property
- Rent reviews
- Dilapidation issues
- Tenancy and Licence Agreements
- Planning Issues
- Conditional Contracts
- Property related Joint Venture Agreements
- Auction Acquisitions/Disposals
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Qualified solicitor or barrister or chartered legal executive with full valid practising certificate and 3 + years post qualification experience. We would expect a lawyer with the given PQE to have gained the level of experience required but this does not preclude applications from those with more or less PQE.
- Ability to establish credibility with directors, senior management and other key stakeholders;
- Ability to contribute effectively in a large complex organisation with plans for radical change and improvement;
- Within the Property team you will require knowledge and understanding of providing legal advice in a public sector setting: including but not limited to sales, purchases, easements and wayleaves, leases and licences.
Qualification certificates should be brought to interview.
Please note that Essex County Council has determined that the off-payroll working rules will apply to this assignment and where a worker elects to provide their services through an intermediary (such as a personal services company) then income tax and primary national insurance contributions will be deducted at source from any payments made to the intermediary.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.