Assistant Accountants - 12 month Fixed Term Contract
Fixed Term, Full Time
Up to £36,057 per annum
Closing Date: 13th April 2021
Please note that these positions are being offered as Fixed Term Contracts or Secondment for a period of 12 months.
These positions will initially, in line with current government guidance be based from home, with an expectation of being home based for the foreseeable future. However, when government guidelines change the role may then revert to being office based, whilst retaining some flexible working options.
The Assistant Accountant will deliver all aspects of financial management reporting (both Revenue and Capital with key members of the Finance team and budget holders to ensure customer needs are met.
This role is responsible for the preparation of high quality financial advice, information and analysis to budget holders within a functional area, across the financial cycle.
You will co-ordinate the provision of, and deliver, timely and accurate financial information and advice to front line budget holders to allow effective management of their budgets and assist them in carrying out their financial duties, constructively challenging where appropriate
You will build strong relationships with finance colleagues, budget holders and all relevant internal partners and actively participate and contribute to projects.
- Deliver timely and accurate financial information throughout the financial cycle and provide advice to budget holders to ensure the effective management of budgets and value for money services.
- Supports budget holders to ensure they can develop financial plans and to carry out their financial management duties.
- Provides analysis and interpretation of financial and performance data to ensure the business can underpin their decisions with robust financial information and advice.
- Supports budget holders sharing financial knowledge to ensure they understand the implications of unit costs and interpret variances more robustly. Deliver accurate financial estimates, forecasts and plans ensuring all identified risks are quantified, monitored and controlled and mitigations appropriately recorded
- Develop a strong understanding of all financial management and reporting systems and processes in order to support the development and enhancement of system and process improvements.
- Support the Financial System and Processes Manager in the development of efficient financial systems and processes to support and deliver sound financial reporting, management and control across ECC and to external bodies.
- Supports and co-ordinates the timely delivery and preparation of information to ensure quality of financial information for both business cases or projects
- Coordinate the delivery and deliver information to ensure the annual accounts closure programme can meet the agreed deadlines.
- Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Minimum full AAT (Level 4) qualification or equivalent, plus one year's experience as an Accounting Technician.
- Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area.
- Knowledge and understanding of financial management, financial planning and management for budgets and experience of providing financial advice to budget holders.
- Experience of working with a range of financial systems and processes.
- Evidence of working collaboratively and engaging with senior managers and finance colleagues across the finance function, together with good communication skills.
- Experience of working in a large complex organisation and contributing to change.
- Experience of supporting multi-disciplinary teams to achieve service outcomes.