Group Engineer - Highway Operations
We are looking for a Group Engineer to join our team in the Highways Service at either our Honley, Huddersfield or Headlands, Liversedge depots.
Salary for this roles is £40,876 - £45,859 (plus market rate supplement of £3,000 reviewed annually)
Are you an experienced engineer looking for an opportunity to improve the lives of the local people of Kirklees. We are looking for a Group Engineer to join our team in the Highways Service.
Kirklees is attracting a significant level of investment into the district, which is funding major highway infrastructure improvements, upgrade of utility networks including major investment in fibre, as well as new homes and businesses.
Highway Operations is supporting the West Yorkshire Combined Authority in delivering transportation projects to deliver its Transport Strategy. This exciting new opportunity offers work ranging from reactive to larger schemes which support the Highways Capital Plan. This role is crucial in the leadership and management of a depot environment. It is essential that your people skills, patience, decision making skills are strong but reflective.
We are looking for a Group Engineer who already has:
- An appropriate professional or academic qualification which related to the skills and abilities required for the post or the ability to demonstrate significant experience.
- Experience of providing effective leadership alongside team management and development.
- Extensive experience of working in a highway construction environment including materials, methods and techniques, innovation, health and safety practices and project programming.
- Knowledge and experience of the application of health and safety legislation in construction.
- Experience of the application of The Working Time Regulations and GB Domestic Drivers’ Rules.
As Group Engineer, your key responsibilities and duties will consist of:
- Responsibility for the day to day leadership and management of an operational highways depot comprising about 50 site skilled employees, 15 engineers and other officers.
- You will be managing an operational depot with an Operational Manager for Highway Operations who reports to Head of Highways.
- Liaise with, and advise, various Council departments, partners, and 3rd parties on highway construction issues and understand the need for a high level of effective and efficient communication, both written and verbal.
- Delivering extensive organisation changes and overcoming the challenges involved.
At Kirklees Council, we want to support your professional development to give you the right skills, confidence, and support to really achieve your potential. We offer a variety of courses and training designed for this exact purpose.
We value the importance of having work life balance, so therefore we offer provisions such as flexible-working, generous holiday entitlement, a variety of special leave policies and employee healthcare services.
Watch our video for more information and to find out about our teams:
09 May 2021, 11:55 PM
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable adults and children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.