Assistant Business Partner
This role is part of the People Business Partnering team and supports the delivery of the workforce strategy, functional people strategies and the implementation of strategic initiatives across a broad spectrum of functional areas. Working collaboratively within Organisation Development and People & Service Transformation (ODP&ST) and across a number of business functions at any one time, this role requires HR expertise to support the business at Heads of Service level and below, in implementing organisation change projects and managing employment cases which are escalated by the people service centre.
The role will also coach managers dealing with these projects and cases, to develop skill sets to increase their confidence and effectiveness in managing others. Working as part of the wider Business Partnering team, this role provides support to the strategic business partners, offering challenge and high quality and high impact HR advice, within and outside the ODP function.
Ambitious people really fit in here so if you are a talented Assistant People Business Partner, we want to hear from you.
On a day-to-day basis
- Work under the direction of the People Business Partner/s to translate business requirements into prioritised people requirements
- Coach leaders and managers in dealing with business change project implementation (including redesign, redundancy, TUPE) and moderate to high complexity cases, individual performance and employee relations issues, providing high quality advice.
- Take shared accountability with the business for leading continuous improvement in business outcomes, by coaching and influencing leaders in all aspects of ODP.
- Be responsible for ODP projects (or parts of projects) for the business area or for ODP itself and support People Business Partners in delivering business performance improvement.
- Contribute to intelligence and insight gathering into significant concerns across the function and/or patterns of behaviour, to ensure such insights can be used to drive and address underlying business issues.
- Provide a comprehensive HR advice and support service to managers and customers with regard to more complex case work and change programmes, using personal judgement in making effective decisions, ensuring matters can move forward and options considered.
- Contribute to the achievement of the Council's/Functions priorities and work collaboratively, to ensure they are implemented and delivered within the appropriate services.
- Provide information and advice to customers on the practical application/implications of changes in legislation and other good HR practice, identifying how best to distil complex data into distinct, clear and concise concepts others can understand.
- Contribute to the planning and delivery of HR services in a customer focussed way in order to promote continuous improvement within HR services.
You'll do great here if you
- Have strong consulting skills, including excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to make strong and influential relationships with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Are able to analyse people and business metrics and develop insight and solutions; using these to influence decision making in the context of the business and to shape and influence others.
- Can facilitate successful change management techniques and champion the importance of engaging leaders and managers in the change.
- Have a working knowledge of the critical factors in planning change and the stages and phases of project and programme management and are able to identify risks and create mitigation plans.
- Know how to design and develop people activities and interventions to improve business outcomes; understanding the key drivers of employee engagement and how to coach leaders to understand and drive business value from them.
- Understand the broad employee relations landscape and can use this to influence and coach the business and understand the broad legal context in which ODP operates and can apply this to managing complex employee relations issues and mitigating organisational risk.
- Know how to implement people initiatives and develops metrics to measure their impact and use this to adjust and develop future practice.
- Are MCIPD qualified or working towards this.
What you should do next
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please apply via the Working for Essex website.
*This position will initially, in line with current government guidance be based from home, with an expectation of being home based for the foreseeable future. However, when government guidelines change the role may then revert to being office based, whilst retaining some flexible working options.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.