Permanent, Full Time
Up to £22,664.40 per annum
Closing Date: 22nd April 2021
Please note this role is peripatetic with the majority working at one or two of the 12 Essex County Council owned Gypsy and Traveller residential sites. However, flexibility is required for deployment to any of the 12 sites throughout the County as business dictates.
About the opportunity
This role provides support in the management and maintenance of County Council owned residential Gypsy and Traveller caravan sites.
You will be responsible for managing the sites in an efficient and effective manner, including collection and recording payments,chasing arrears, ensuring residents comply with/enforcing site licence conditions, basic maintenance of the site and buildings, ensure that health and safety regulations are complied with and directly supporting residents in accessing key services.
The ideal applicants will be organised, with the ability to prioritise and solve problems as this will be key, alongside the promotion and support of health and education with site residents.
Role responsibilities include
- To ensure the terms of site licences are strictly complied with in order to maintain acceptable behaviour of licensees and that health and safety regulations are complied with including promotion of Fire Safety awareness through use of smoke alarms, fire distances and safe storage of hazardous materials.
- To liaise with statutory and voluntary organisations concerning benefits payments, education and healthcare etc. in order to keep up to date housing benefit records, children in school and families registered with GPs.
- To collect rent and water charges, addressing any arrears issues at an early stage, in order to ensure accurate records.
- To be responsible for minor repairs (e.g. replacing locks, rodding drains) and like for like replacement of parts in order to ensure the site is kept in a good state of repair and oversee major repairs via external contractors on site to ensure all work is completed to the required standard.
- To be responsible for the maintenance of the communal areas including roadways and open areas including grass and hedge cutting, litter picking
- To maintain a waiting list of Gypsy/Travellers wishing to move onto the site to ensure an efficient transition of licensees to and from the site, working towards 100% occupancy at all times.
- To assist on any of the Gypsy/Travellers sites run by the County Council as required to ensure efficient coverage for absence or business need
- To manage all resources to ensure that services are procured from external providers to represent 'value for money', services are delivered on time and within budget and best use is made of land and buildings
Educated to GCSE level or equivalent by experience, you will have an interest in working with the Gypsy/Traveller community, managing health and safety, administration/record keeping and of maintenance work.
You will have good numeracy with the ability to keep records and accounts, good organisational skills and have good judgement, problem solving and analysis skills.
You should also have good written and verbal communication skills, good interpersonal skills and negotiation skills with the ability to deal with difficult and confrontational situations
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service .
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Resourcing Team on 0333 013 5888.