Admissions, Applications & Awards Officer
This is a 12 month fixed term role, covering 18 1/2 hours per week and the working days are Monday to Wednesday.
*This position will initially, in line with current government guidance be based from home, with an expectation of being home based for the foreseeable future. However, when government guidelines change the role may then revert to being office based, whilst retaining some flexible working options.
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda - one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We're immensely proud of our flexible working options.
The role is to validate, assess and determine a high volume of applications under legislative criteria, applying detailed knowledge of school admissions and education transport assessment, preparing case papers for appeal hearings to be heard under statutory guidance.
This role will work in a multi-disciplinary team handling application for admissions to more than 500 mainstream schools in Essex and the full spectrum of primary, secondary, special and alternative provision schools in relation to transport eligibility.
The postholder will be responsible for the timely assessment and determination of school places and transport assessment for children in response to several thousands of individual applications, interacting on a daily basis with schools, parents and other internal and external stakeholders to deliver outcomes under the law and Council policies.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
* Educated to A Level standard or equivalent by experience.
* A high level of attention to detail, accuracy, and organisational skills.
* Knowledge and understanding of the legislative and policy framework on school admissions and transport, including the Statutory School Admission Code and the co-ordinated processes.
* Excellent IT skills particularly in Microsoft Excel and the use of databases and email. Knowledge and experience of the Capita One admissions systems and software would be a distinct advantage.
* An understanding of the requirements of data protection and information security.
* The ability to work independently with limited supervision to complete essential tasks that are critical to the overall processes.
* Experience in working in a customer focused environment with an appreciation of accountability and the consequences of actions and ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with internal and external stakeholders.
* Adept and multi-tasking and working in a pressurised environment of non-negotiable deadlines, whilst maintaining quality.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/working-here/pay-reward/
Apply and next steps
In order to be considered please ensure you upload an up to date CV and provide a supporting statement when prompted.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Resourcing Team on 0333 013 5888