Senior Engineer (Street Lighting)
- Are you looking for working arrangements that enhance your work-life balance?
- Are you a competent electrically trained Engineer?
- Do you have experience in maintenance and design of street lighting?
- Are you confident communicating with people from all walks of life?
- Do you have a proven history of contract management?
If you answered yes, we would love to hear from you!
Who we are:
The London Boroughs of Richmond Upon Thames and Wandsworth are recruiting a new Senior Street Lighting Engineer to work within the street lighting team to manage, inspect and monitor our street lighting asset installations and enhance the efficient daily routine maintenance of the street lighting services in Richmond and Wandsworth.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated Engineer to join the Street Lighting Team within Engineering Group Two.
This is a unique opportunity to assist a closely-knit team of Engineers and provide comprehensive Engineering service within street lighting team.
About the role:
You will assist the Principal Street Lighting Engineer to design, maintain and manage all illuminated street furniture in Richmond and Wandsworth.
You will be responsible for the day to day operation of the street lighting section and work in partnership with other service providers to develop an integrated approach to service delivery and assist in the overall management and delivery of the street lighting term contract.
The ideal candidate will have a relevant professional qualification in Electrical Engineering and / or The ILP Exterior Street Lighting Diploma (or closely related discipline), thorough knowledge of Electrical Regulations and Health and Safety Legislation under which this service operates together with significant experience in street lighting.
- Be able to identify and update the street lighting asset register and computer management system.
- Assess the safety and record the installation details of new street light installations.
- Understand the need for accuracy of contractual measurements and payments.
- Chair meeting and monitor contractors and their employees.
- Provide post-meeting reports ensuring documents are distributed within the statutory timeframes.
- Have a background in contract management and highway specification contracts.
- Have an understanding of street works and permitting on the public highway.
- You will need to be a good communicator and have confidence to deal with people at all levels, including members of the public, council officers and Councillors in writing and by telephone.
- You will have a proven background within an Electrical or street lighting discipline.
- You will be able to attend to emergencies at short notice, which may include work at night or weekends.
- We are particularly looking for someone who can work on their own initiative to tight deadlines.
- Be qualified to inspect street lighting and electrical installations on the public highway.
- It would be beneficial to have previous local government experience, but it is not essential.
The job will be initially split equally between Wandsworth and Richmond Boroughs.
We recognise the importance of a good balance between work and home life so we do everything we can to accommodate flexible working including, working from home and other arrangements. Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process (and beyond) if these are options you’d like to explore. We also offer a generous holiday allowance of 39 paid days (pro rata) including bank holidays and a wide range of learning and development opportunities.
In addition, we offer a comprehensive range of staff benefits such as membership of the Local Government pension scheme, childcare vouchers, new technology scheme, interest-free loans on annual travel cards, discounts with many leisure activities, restaurants, shops and other establishments.
Indicative Recruitment Timeline
Closing Date: Sunday 16th May 2021
Shortlisting Date: Week Commencing 17th May 2021
Interview Date: Week Commencing 24th May 2021
The closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. We strongly advise you to complete your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note that the advertised dates for interviews may change due to the current Covid-19 situation. If they do, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Your health and wellbeing is our top priority. Should you become unwell due to Covid-19 during the recruitment process we would very much appreciate receiving an update from you as soon as possible.
We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our teams, including females, BAME and disabled candidates.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils are committed to making our recruitment practices as inclusive as possible for everyone. We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and developing a culture that values differences, recognising that employees from a variety of backgrounds bring important and positive contributions to the Councils and can improve the way we deliver services. We are proud to be a Disability Confident employer.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils