Corporate (Monitoring) Officer
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced or aspiring Officer to provide support to the Leadership Team and act as the Council’s Monitoring Officer; working in the picturesque surroundings of the Forest of Dean.
You will attend the meetings of the Local Leadership Team and, as such, contribute towards the development and implementation of legally sound policies and plans which ensure the Council continually improves upon its performance and sets and achieves realistic corporate goals and achievements within its legal powers.
- Advise and assist the Head of Paid Service, the Leader, Cabinet and the Council on the development of the Council’s strategic direction, including ensuring the legality of decisions, preparation of Statutory plans and the preparation of budgets and service delivery plans.
- Undertake the role of the Council’s Monitoring Officer under the provisions of section 5 of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989, including handling complaints about Councillors (District and Town and Parish Council) and the preparation of reports to any relevant Committee. Receive complaints and arrange for investigations and administer alternative action as appropriate such as Mediation or training.
- To support the Head of Paid Service and the Chief Finance Officer as part of the retained officer core in the commissioning of services for the Council and monitoring the performance of key service contracts including with the Council’s service delivery company Publica and the shared legal service.
- Take a specific lead on member development.
To be successful in the role you will need:
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister with relevant Practising Certificate/License with extensive post qualification experience or other local government or related professional with substantial governance experience
- A broad knowledge of Council procedures
- Experience of advising Cabinet, senior Members and senior Officers on constitutional and/or complex legal and governance issues
- Experience of influencing diverse teams across a multifunctional organisation
- Experience of developing strategies and policies in relating to relevant areas of governance
- Preparation and presentation of reports
- Good level of IT skills - MS Office
- A full UK Driving License
Please see the Job Description and Person Specification for more information.
Local Government Pension Scheme, flexible working, family friendly initiatives and flexible benefits package.
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 12th May 2021 at 5:00pm
We anticipate holding interviews on: Week commencing Monday 31st May 2021
To discuss this position further, please contact Peter Williams on 01594 812300 or email@example.com
For more information please visit www.fdean.gov.uk/job-vacancies To apply please email your CV with cover letter/supporting statement to the Recruitment Team: firstname.lastname@example.org If you have any queries please telephone 01285 623319.
All successful applicants will need to provide evidence of their eligibility to work in the UK.
We are committed to safeguarding the welfare of vulnerable adults, young people and children. Safer recruitment practices are applied which include providing proof of identity; nationality and immigration status; three years’ employment or education history (if applicable) and, in some cases, verification of criminal record.
Forest of Dean District Council is an equal opportunities employer